Direct experience please?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Direct experience please?

I need to know if anyone is using an LCD or plasma TV bought in the US here in Hong Kong? Particular issues of concern are 240V/50Hz power handling and compatibility with PCCW. I'm too far behind the TV tech curve to know if that means PAL, or if there's some whole new mess involved now that things are digital.

If yes, I'll buy there and ship with my household goods, as I can beat HK prices by 30-50%. The TV we have there is an older Toshiba, so no point in bringing that...

Many thanks
    Tony

Last edited by TS888; 13-05-2009 at 06:16 PM.

is it still 30% cheaper when you factor in the shipping it over?

i would suggest just buying one here.

N America uses a different system, here we use PAL... but i'm no techie, so i have no idea if you can use your US tv here. sorry!

Shipping is free, company is paying.

I know of people who have taken newer LCD/Plasma TV's from HK to the US, and no compatibility issues (i.e. TV tuner handles NTSC, power supply is OK w/110v/60Hz).

I don't know if the manufacturers are equipping US market TV's the same way. The odds of a US buyer wanting to take their TV outside the US are pretty low, considering how few of us Yanks even hold a passport...

most, if not ALL, tv's, dvd's etc here are MULTI-REGION, so it isn't a problem to transport the things from here overseas.

PAL only matters if the signal is broadcasted or you are using the composite or S-Video input and PAL source material (like VHS tapes or PAL DVDs) but if you use component/YUV or DVI/HDMI to e.g. hook up the nowTV box the TV must only be able to handle the 50Hz refresh rate.
    The power supply is another issue, using a transformer might be possible but it might not be safe and look messy, furthermore some electronic products do not like the different cycle (50Hz in HK instead of 60Hz in the US). Thus a product that supports 100-240V/50-60Hz would be better.

Consumer electronic products in the US are usually made specifically for the domestic market but exceptions might exist, so you need to check the specifications of individual models, and preferrably for each type of input.

Last edited by Raccon; 13-05-2009 at 10:57 PM.

see, i told you i wasn't a techie...LOL! i knew someone who knew more than I (not hard to accomplish) would answer your question.

Excellent advice, Raccon. And could I be in the US m'self, I'd be able to check. I'm going to give it a go trying to get my wife to do it, but she HATES anything remotely technical. Probably end up cheaper just to buy here than pay her price...

PS: Wow, my rep has dropped like the Hang Seng. Must have PO'd someone...

Quote Originally Posted by TS888:
    Excellent advice, Raccon. And could I be in the US m'self, I'd be able to check. I'm going to give it a go trying to get my wife to do it, but she HATES anything remotely technical.
    You should be able to find the specs in the user guides/manuals, big brands usually offer to download them from their websites.

Probably end up cheaper just to buy here than pay her price...

Quote Originally Posted by TS888:
    PS: Wow, my rep has dropped like the Hang Seng. Must have PO'd someone...
    Why were you red dotted for ?

If someone is abusing the reputation system by red dotting aimlessly, shoot Shri off an email, he will remove their red dot ability, and return your lost rep, providing it wasn't deserved.. ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast