Flat Screen from U.S. - Will it work in HK?

Flat Screen from U.S. - Will it work in HK?

It seems that a television from the U.S. (Samsung LCD) that runs on NTSC will NOT run properly in Hong Kong given that the system here is PAL.

Can someone confirm this for me?

Is there any point in bringing the television to Hong Kong? There's apparently a converter available out there, but how reliable is that?

The problem is only with CRTs, plasma and LCD panels are all digital and can cope with the differences. The difference between a PAL and NTSC DVD is the refresh rate for compatibility with CRT based displays.

Generally you shouldn't need a power converter as the power adapter should take 100-240v.

However you should ask your self whether it is worth shipping such a large item that can be bought locally.

Last edited by MrMoo; 08-06-2009 at 02:55 PM.

>> the power adapter should take 100-240v.

Not for most appliances sold in the US. I've only seen universal supplies on computers, in the US.

plus the fact the internal tuner of the TV ( assuming its either an analog ntsc or IDTV atsc ) is not compatible with hk analog and terrestial tv (pal and DMB-T/H ), so the only way you will recieve TV channels is via cable/satelite or using a external tuner, eg, vcr or digital recorder.

however, some us TV will not handle 240v as well as you need a high current ( eg, up to a 500w ) step down transformer.

Quote Original Post:
    The problem is only with CRTs, plasma and LCD panels are all digital and can cope with the differences.
    Nothing to do with being digital - I have a multi-system CRT back home, and there are many plasma/LCD that cannot cope with the differences.

The difference between a PAL and NTSC DVD is the refresh rate for compatibility with CRT based displays.
    Same applies for some plasma and LCD TVs.

Generally you shouldn't need a power converter as the power adapter should take 100-240v.
    Not if the unit is from e.g. the US or Japan, those are 110V / NTSC countries and the equipment is often made specifically for this market, meaning PAL and/or 240V is not a standard feature.

gknoell, check if your TV supports 50Hz for the power supply and as refresh rate, in which case you can connect other equipment via component or HDMI where PAL & NTSC doesn't matter.
    Here in HK you will most likely use a STB (set top box) for terrestrial broadcast or cable / IPTV anyway, as imparanoic already mentioned.
    If your TV does not support 230V you can use a step-down converter / transformer but the TV must be able to cope with 50Hz cycles.
    Last edited by Raccon; 08-06-2009 at 11:24 PM.

I researched this in the last couple months. It is difficult to find an LCD or plasma TV in the US that will run on 240/50 power, and many do not have PAL tuners. Apparently the manufacturers do not expect people from the US to move away from home. They're mostly right...

Best bet is to buy a TV here, then it will work pretty much anywhere.

Quote Original Post:
    I researched this in the last couple months. It is difficult to find an LCD or plasma TV in the US that will run on 240/50 power, and many do not have PAL tuners.
    They can save $10 on the NTSC converter compared to a PAL one. These issues are still only when dealing with analog signals - co-axial, component, SCART, S-Video, etc.

If you buy a set-top box for HK digital TV with a HDMI, VGA, or DVI out then you can use the US TV. However most Now TV, i-Cable, and building broadcast systems are only analog output - requiring a tuner.

When we were discussing TVs with our movers, they told us that big-screens might not survive the journey. It was their top insurance claim. Apparentky the OE package is a lot better than whatever the movers use.

Quote Original Post:
    They can save $10 on the NTSC converter compared to a PAL one. These issues are still only when dealing with analog signals - co-axial, component, SCART, S-Video, etc.
    Coaxial and SCART are not signals, they are cable or connector types; Scart for example may carry composite, S-Video and RGB or YUV/component but neither RGB nor YUV will be PAL.
    And a normal YUV connection over red, green & blue RCA connections uses coaxial cables.
    I assume you meant the aerial connection that carries an RF signal over a coaxial cable.

Also note that the nowTV box (at least the HD capable one, not sure about the older one) does have a YUV/component output, so a PAL tuner is not required. If you subscribe to HD programming you can also use the HDMI output.
    Last edited by Raccon; 13-06-2009 at 09:54 PM.