3HK tethering?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends:
    ive never used tethering before...but wanted to try it out on the new iphone 3.0. i was just worried that 3HK might charge extra fee for this?

is it possible for them to know that im connecting via tethering?
    and does anyone know if they are charging extra for this based on existing current iphone tarrif plans?
    briefly checked on 3.0GM on 3HK. Only went to google.com and one other site as I am not sure about the charges or extra charges. but it WORKS n 3.0GM on 3HK (tested on 3G iPhone).

Tested on a Mac (PowerBook G4 running Leopard) and as per Apple tradition it was a breeze to set up.. Tested on USB and Bluetooth. Worked without a hitch.

Well in the UK o2 will be charging extra for tethering:

O2 to charge extra monthly fee for iPhone tethering -Times Online

Tethering

I am running 2.2.x jailbreak and using pdaNet. Works fine I can get up to 2Mbps, depending on the area. As for the charge what ever data pack you have with your plan, I have unlimited so I can use as much as I want. Data is data, Three does not know the different whether you are tethering or browsing on your phone.

Having the ability to bluetooth on the 3.0 will be a plus, no need to setup an ad-hoc wifi connection. If the connection was better I would just run my internet from my phone and do away with HKBN, but HKBN speeds are pretty damn good especially for nbz files from the local mirror, can pull down a bluray in about 14mins.

Also the new iphones have the better chipset with full 7.2Mbps support, if Three's network was better it would be a big plus!

Quote Originally Posted by aussben:
    I am running 2.2.x jailbreak and using pdaNet. Works fine I can get up to 2Mbps, depending on the area. As for the charge what ever data pack you have with your plan, I have unlimited so I can use as much as I want. Data is data, Three does not know the different whether you are tethering or browsing on your phone.

Having the ability to bluetooth on the 3.0 will be a plus, no need to setup an ad-hoc wifi connection. If the connection was better I would just run my internet from my phone and do away with HKBN, but HKBN speeds are pretty damn good especially for nbz files from the local mirror, can pull down a bluray in about 14mins.

Also the new iphones have the better chipset with full 7.2Mbps support, if Three's network was better it would be a big plus!
    On an OT, what usenet are you using for your nzbs?

Data is data, Three does not know the different whether you are tethering or browsing on your phone.
    Thats what I would think but servers can check to see what you are using to browse, and AT&T is charging for it...so there must be an easy way to separate the difference

3HK is so slow for normal browsing...but i did want to use it for occasional checks and email work where i need the laptop

There is no way for them to tell, they would have to do individual packet inspections, time consuming and costly. AT&T can't actually tell. They would have to inspect port 80/443 traffic look for the browser used i.e a mobile browser, other then that there is nothing to distinguish between a laptop or mobile. They just use scare tactics to get you to pay the extra charges. If you are very paranoid you can just setup a vpn tunnel, no possible way at all for them to inspect your traffic. If you started to use an outrageous amount of data, I would assume you would get flagged and someone would contact you. But Three does not have anything in the T&C's about tethering.

So all good, plus their network is not good so it is hard to rack up a lot of data, I use about 5G per month on mine just streaming radios stations, I dock the iphone and run it through my receiver at home. Just to get the value out of my unlimited pack :-)

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    On an OT, what usenet are you using for your nzbs?
    giganews for me, although i think i told you that some time ago