Digital camera: Kodak or Panasonic???

Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    55

    I guess KelliC means the DSC-W300, which does look like a nice camera.

    Here is a +1 for fuji cams in low light. That is somewhere where my Canon compact falls short -- iso > 100 is rather noisy. There is an added bonus with canon; if you get an older model (DIGIC III) you pay less and can run CHDK to get extra functions.


  2. #22

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    in my home
    Posts
    3,451

    the w300 is not a bad model at all. but from all the reviews ive read, it falls short of the fuji f100fd, which in turn falls short of the f31fd.

    i have not had a chance to play with the w300, and i normally stay clear of sony for fear of buying a "fashion" camera (which is what their cybershots are known for). but i would certainly think it would be a decent camera based on the specs and samples ive seen.


  3. #23

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    7,870
    Quote Originally Posted by hk.com:
    tiger, the iA mode on the Lumix, is pretty clever, but sometimes with the light the shade changes as you move around and it siwtches mode, you just have to position yourself with the light so that it knows what you are doing again. This happens pretty rarely and it is obvious it is making a mistake and very easy to correct.
    I agree that the whole AUTO white balance thing is pretty dicey. The DPpreview forums are full of DSLR owners complaining about some Auto WB mode issue (including high end Canon and Nikon cameras).
    I don't believe that this is an 'don't buy' issue with Lumix cameras.

    Cloudy days scatter light and give a blue cast and a camera MIGHT correct this in Auto mode depending on, as you say, which way you are pointing... or the phase of the moon. However, if a bluecast is an issue for someone, the simplest thing to do is to switch the WB setting to "cloudy".

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends:
    uuuuuuuhhhhh........huh?
    you mentioned WSC-300 in your post, climber followed up by mentioning he didnt know this model, asked if you were referring to another model (t300). he then went on to assume if that was the case, he would discuss.

    you are attacking him because you posted the wrong model # with an all so descriptive content of "nah..it superior"? do a google search youself for the WSC-300 and see for yourself why one would be confused.

    way to put your net-face on
    i said Sony DSC-W300. thing about cam buffs i notice is they are quite defensive about their cams and their choices and have the highest regard for their knowledge. enough said. i think its a good cam. i dont read cam mags, websites, orgasm over cam things but i researched and bought it based on reviews and my own judgement that it is a great product. lol

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    in my home
    Posts
    3,451
    Quote Originally Posted by KelliC:
    i said Sony DSC-W300.
    actually...it was:
    Quote Originally Posted by KelliC:
    Sony WSC-300 with the Titanium shell is superior.
    notice how you DIDNT say DSC-W300. in the electronics world, big changes in model #'s can throw you in many different directions.

    Quote Originally Posted by KelliC:
    thing about cam buffs i notice is they are quite defensive about their cams and their choices and have the highest regard for their knowledge. enough said. i think its a good cam. i dont read cam mags, websites, orgasm over cam things but i researched and bought it based on reviews and my own judgement that it is a great product. lol
    dont get your panties in a bunch. you began attacking us because of your misinformation. once you listed your actual model #, we all said that it was a decent camera and one to consider. and for the record.....you are either a cam buff or an idot, because you certainly were quite defensive over your preciously superior WSC-300

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,163

    I'd say probably not the Panasonic. It seems cameras have got significantly slower and less useful a lot recently. Friends and family have Lumix, Canon, Nikkon, Casio and Samsung, all of which take a few seconds to save any photo taken and have a non-simple interface to navigate and delete photos.

    We have a Sony L1 which is compact and takes good photos fast, I had a T1 but the electronics broke after a year causing the screen to fill up with random colours, but the quality was always worse than my previous F1.


  7. #27

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kwun Tong
    Posts
    1,242
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerSun:
    I agree that the whole AUTO white balance thing is pretty dicey. The DPpreview forums are full of DSLR owners complaining about some Auto WB mode issue (including high end Canon and Nikon cameras).
    I don't believe that this is an 'don't buy' issue with Lumix cameras.

    Cloudy days scatter light and give a blue cast and a camera MIGHT correct this in Auto mode depending on, as you say, which way you are pointing... or the phase of the moon. However, if a bluecast is an issue for someone, the simplest thing to do is to switch the WB setting to "cloudy".
    To be specific the issue i found is taking photos in door next to a window where there is electrical light on and out door lights on. The camera didn't know what light source it should adjust for, out door blue light or indoor incandescent light.

    Maybe the leica lens is not good enough for the pros but the engine and how the camera thinks surpasses what I know of photography.

    After seeing these photos I was sold.
    LUMIX LX3

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    7,870
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo:
    I'd say probably not the Panasonic. It seems cameras have got significantly slower and less useful a lot recently. Friends and family have Lumix, Canon, Nikkon, Casio and Samsung, all of which take a few seconds to save any photo taken and have a non-simple interface to navigate and delete photos.

    We have a Sony L1 which is compact and takes good photos fast, I had a T1 but the electronics broke after a year causing the screen to fill up with random colours, but the quality was always worse than my previous F1.
    So you say "probably not the Panasonic", because it "takes a few seconds" to save any photo. I'm not sure about the FX-28 but the FX-18's Save to Save rate is 1.1 seconds in Fine mode, with a burst rate of 2 frames per second while the FX-28 burst mode is 13 frames per second.

    Ignoring the fact that the OP is looking at a super-zoom with a Leica28mm to 18x optical zoom and 10 MP resolution, you rave about a 5yr old Sony DSC-L1 with 3x optical zoom, 4 MP resolution and a 'fast' Save to Save rate of 1.5 seconds?
    These cameras are not even in the same ballpark.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    7,870
    Quote Originally Posted by hk.com:
    To be specific the issue i found is taking photos in door next to a window where there is electrical light on and out door lights on. The camera didn't know what light source it should adjust for, out door blue light or indoor incandescent light.

    Maybe the leica lens is not good enough for the pros but the engine and how the camera thinks surpasses what I know of photography.

    After seeing these photos I was sold.
    LUMIX LX3
    Exactly, any camera's Auto White balance mode can't properly assess the range of colour temperatures in mixed light sources. A 'perfect' shot is what the photographer thinks is perfect and adjusts the settings of the machine to deliver the preferred light. Ever shot blue flowers on a cloudy day with "cloudy" preset?... the blue is washed out. Some of the 'experts' here have to start using their brains and stop dissing the equipment.

    There is no doubt that the LX3 is one of the highest regarded cameras around. I almost bought it but choose the FX-100 because its a bit smaller and I carry it with me all the time.
    Last edited by TigerSun; 20-06-2009 at 02:58 PM.

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends:
    actually...it was:


    notice how you DIDNT say DSC-W300. in the electronics world, big changes in model #'s can throw you in many different directions.



    dont get your panties in a bunch. you began attacking us because of your misinformation. once you listed your actual model #, we all said that it was a decent camera and one to consider. and for the record.....you are either a cam buff or an idot, because you certainly were quite defensive over your preciously superior WSC-300
    do you understand "n" please?
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv1peS-6moA"]YouTube - Sony W300 Cybershot Digital Camera - Review[/ame]

Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast