Energy saving light bulbs are scam and not environmentally friendly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Energy saving light bulbs are scam and not environmentally friendly.

Having changed all the light bulb in my apartment for these energy saving lights I think I've been done.

The Philips ones fail every 3 months and I am putting these big things with electronics plastics and junk in the rubbish far more requently than I ever did before.

Are you guys seeing the same?

I changed seven of our old incan bulbs to the energy saving ones (Philips + generic Chinese, both the compact tubey ones and the big spherical ones) about two years ago. I haven't change a single bulb since.

Maybe they made them better before.

They cost 5 times and for me last a 3rd or a quarter of what incandescent bulbs do.

Maybe your vibrating bed and disco ball is interfering with the stability of your power supply. These things are quite susceptible to voltage variations on the high side.

we get our bulbs from ikea and i dont ever recall changing out a bulb since we moved in in 2006

considering hk has high humidity, could it be the contact from your lamp/light fitting has become rusty, it happens alll the time, especially on older light fittings

Most of the CFLs I bought a few years ago after moving here are still working.

My apartment has low energy bulbs throughout and I haven't changed a single one since I moved in just over 2 years ago.

I think you're either buying dodgy ones, or perhaps need to try the suggestions above re the connection?

I've never needed to change an energy saving bulb once I've put one in.

Boris's tongue-in-cheek comment about a disco ball might be not far from the truth. There are a number of issues with CFL's including a sensitivity to dirty power... low voltage or voltage fluctuations which can shorten the lives of CFLs.

They should never be used with a dimmer, and they don't like high temperatures like in 'can' or semi-enclosed fixtures.

Jostling and vibration and frequent on/off switching will shorten their life. DO check the sockets for rusting. Under ideal conditions a CFL should last about 6x as long as an incandescent.

Hopefully, CFL is an interim solution, and the promised improvements to L.E.D. technology will eventually develope a bright, reliable, energy-effiecient, 'green' lightbulb.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast