How is the free WIFI condition for iPodTouch/iPhone users in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How is the free WIFI condition for iPodTouch/iPhone users in HK?

Hello. I have a cell phone already but I plan to buy the latest iPodtouch or iPhone as a PDA to access sms/email, to use Skype and for web surfing. In HK, can I use wireless internet connection for free in most places (on the streets, in bus, in train)? I mainly use the iPodtouch/iPhone to do the above mentioned activities on my way to work. If not, which internet provider do you recommend? Thanks.

You can find free wifi but it's not ubiquitous. What IS very common is PCCW wifi and another one ? trying to remember the name ? Ozone?. PCCW has some pretty cheap plans you can sign up for wifi though.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    You can find free wifi but it's not ubiquitous. What IS very common is PCCW wifi and another one ? trying to remember the name ? Ozone?. PCCW has some pretty cheap plans you can sign up for wifi though.
    Thanks. Is it true that I can use free wireless internet connections in all MTR trains/stations? How about in the green minibus/stations?

if you're looking for free, you might to check out this web site for locations GovWiFi: Programme Overview

The free wifi services in HK and far and few. You will have to go to cafes and certain bars.

The government operates a wifi network for public buildings, libraries etc.

The 'free' wifi at the MTR are the paid PCCW stations. Free wifi in HK is very rare.

Quote Originally Posted by hajime:
    How about in the green minibus/stations?
    Free wi-fi on Green minibuses? C'mon! You're joking surely? The cost of installing some sort of wifi network in every green minibus would be far beyond the profits available from what are very cheap services.

And since you generally need to be hanging on with both hands just to stay in your seat I can't see what use it would be anyway!

Thank you very much for the info. One of my ideas is that since the buildings in HK are near each other, if some of them have free wifi services, I might be able to use them for free on the streets. (In Korea, I was able to do that.) From you replies, it seems that this does not work in HK. In that case, which pay service do you recommend? At home, I have wireless internet connection via PCCW. Thanks.

Pccw single device plan at hk28 a month.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Free wi-fi on Green minibuses? C'mon! You're joking surely?
    Most cannot even afford an Octopus card machine, still, now expecting WiFi?

HOW IS THE FREE WIFI CONDITION FOR IPODTOUCH/IPHONE USERS IN HK?
    Is that like a disease? Are you under the impression that buying an Ipod touch gets you onto some free magical network around the world?
    Last edited by MrMoo; 13-09-2009 at 03:03 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast