Is Skype the way to go?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My wife and I have been using Skype for about a year. It's been very handy. We bought a US number so the whole wham-damn family can call us cheap, and also leave voice mail. Calling land or mobile phones is cheap with Skype credit, so waiting for the receiving party to get to a computer is barely worth it.

I don't know about all HK serviced apartments, but I was in the Horizon in Ma On Shan, the internet service there was pretty good quality.

Last edited by TS888; 19-10-2009 at 04:05 PM. Reason: typosis

skpye desk phone available for $900 HKD

I am using a skype desk phone, this way you can avoid occupying your PC for incoming skype calls.

There are quite a few brands on skype desk phone, Belkin is one. I am using another local brand called TECO.

If you are interested, PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by TS888:
    My wife and I have been using Skype for about a year. It's been very handy. We bought a US number so the whole wham-damn family can call us cheap, and also leave voice mail. Calling land or mobile phones is cheap with Skype credit, so waiting for the receiving party to get to a computer is barely worth it.

I don't know about all HK serviced apartments, but I was in the Horizon in Ma On Shan, the internet service there was pretty good quality.
    We have been doing the same for about 3 years. Mostly to the US, but also the EU. Teh only time we have an issue is when there are too manypeople on Skype. They tell you how many people are on when you call and if the number gets too far past 12 or 13 million, call quality suffers.
    Originally we were the only ones on Skype, but we have since converted most of the family so that the US number and voice mail aren't used as often.
    Our camera is a Logitech and it has been great. Bought it here (Sham Shui Po) but the price wasn't that great. Best Buy would have probably been better.
    Also makes sense to but it all in the US and test it out so everyone is familar with the workings. It is easy, but the first time for anything can be an adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth:
    We have been doing the same for about 3 years. Mostly to the US, but also the EU. Teh only time we have an issue is when there are too manypeople on Skype. They tell you how many people are on when you call and if the number gets too far past 12 or 13 million, call quality suffers.
    Originally we were the only ones on Skype, but we have since converted most of the family so that the US number and voice mail aren't used as often.
    Our camera is a Logitech and it has been great. Bought it here (Sham Shui Po) but the price wasn't that great. Best Buy would have probably been better.
    Also makes sense to but it all in the US and test it out so everyone is familar with the workings. It is easy, but the first time for anything can be an adventure.
    I'll second this- quality is typically pretty good, with occasional connection problems when its very busy, or to certain family members... We started out with a US-based number also, but didn't renew it when the original subscription expired after a year. Everyone just calls us through regular skype now. And, we now have skype on our iphones, so no need to be tied to the computer. (although no video through iphone... -I'm sure someone somewhere is working on that app)

We don't use the camera much, usually just when we're talking with the kids. I wonder if the camera contributes to the degradation of individual call quality, or it is simply a case of overall bandwith usage at a given time.

I personally have more call quality problems just related to the quality of connection. IT's really bad when using the iffy wireless connection in my UK flat. When I call from my HK office or UK office, even through the company firewall, I get great quality, and the same from my HK flat, where I have good strong wireless.

My experience is that the local connections at each end are the key factors. And obviously everything going on on them will be competing for bandwidth. If you have NOWTV running then quality (of skype video at least) will likely degrade. And if you have email programmes downloading, torrents running, newreaders or RSS polling sites and so on then that will use bandwidth as well.

Remember that many connections are not symmetrical - an 8MB Netvigator connection only has 1MB or so of upload speed. The thing that can most degrade the other person's view of you is most likely torrent clients which are the most common end-user application gobbling up upload bandwidth.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2