is there a way to restore corrupted image files?

Closed Thread

is there a way to restore corrupted image files?

ok.. here's what happened.

i was excited to upload my halloween pictures. i got out the SD card, plugged it in my reader, waited until it can be detected. a few minutes later, still none. i tried to adjust the usb by tightening, loosening it a bit. until i just plug/unplug it. eventually, got the thing running via iphoto. at the end of the file transfer, some pictures failed. i put the memcard back in digicam again.. and got the "File Error" for selected photos.

i was hoping against hope that the images can still be restored since they can still be displayed for a split second before showing "File Error".

This came up about a week ago. Take the card to a photo store and ask if they can recover them for you.

And lets hope this doesn't turn into another http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/thread57641.html

Quote Originally Posted by rEeYuH:
    ok.. here's what happened.

i was excited to upload my halloween pictures. i got out the SD card, plugged it in my reader, waited until it can be detected. a few minutes later, still none. i tried to adjust the usb by tightening, loosening it a bit. until i just plug/unplug it. eventually, got the thing running via iphoto. at the end of the file transfer, some pictures failed. i put the memcard back in digicam again.. and got the "File Error" for selected photos.

i was hoping against hope that the images can still be restored since they can still be displayed for a split second before showing "File Error".
    If I had this issue, I'd:
    1. Check the card on a Windows PC; the result might be different from a Mac
    2. Try using a program called "Image Capture" which might be installed on your Mac. It may succeed where iPhoto as failed.
    3. Put the card into another camera. If another camera can read the card without issue, you might be able to save a second copy of your lost images using on-camera functions such as 'crop' or 'resize'.
    4. See if Mac's Disk Utility can recognize the SD card and try to run a 'repair' on it. Proceed with caution as I've not actually done this before (i.e. possible bad advice!)
    5. Download a small program which specializes in image recovery. I've done this once before and I tried a few different programs before one of them finally did the job, however it DID work out in the end. However my issue was slightly different from your issue: My SD card seemed to have marked some of the images as deleted.
    6. Toss out the card
    Last edited by paul9; 02-11-2009 at 05:23 PM.

thanks for your input... so far, i've done nothing.haha except download an image recovery for mac. im a bit cautious though. gotta have some 'clean' drive to do the recovery. need to follow the specific instructions where to actually install the recovery program, etc. i tried to view the images back in my digicam but it seems, more pictures were corrupted. i got a feeling the reader is corrupting the files.. make sense? or not??? last resort is just to bring it to the comp shop and let them do their job.