Like Tree5Likes

ebook readers in Hong Kong?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Dymocks used to have the Illiad device. Outdated technology. Dymocks also does address the "software" problem as they only sell print books.

We think we can solve both the hardware and software problem with a new platform that we hope to put in place by March/April. Hardware / software (books) and easy access.

By the way, the overseas e-book readers are not popular here as they don't support chinese / double byte font sets.

we have a kindle, and love it- (and you can read PDFs on it)

but since we bought our iPhones and ipods, we never use the kindle any more. We just use kindle for iphone- it works great, is super tiny, the software is free, and you're already carrying it anyway.

I don't know if it can ready pdfs or other ebooks- I'm perfectly happy with Amazon's service and selection.

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends
    ebook are riduculously stupid. why buy a BW tablet, that is limited to a single function????

if you want to waste money, sure, go for an ebook.
    if you want to buy a current pc of equipment, that will not be obsolete in 2 weeks, then buy a tablet.

this will be the year of tablets. netbook and ebooks are a thing of the past.
    Reading an ebook wont get your sight tired. It's like reading a normal book. No matter how you try that on a computer, you can't get it. You need the special screen. Which is useless for anything that requires fast updates of the image represented. So that's why.

And battery life... ebook readers can last for a week or two (several dozen books perhaps) while your laptop / netbook will run dry in 4-5 hours.

Eco-friendly...

Sometimes you just want to lounge around on the couch and just READ ...

again...i suppose if you want to be limited to BW book content only...then i suppose.

or you could get a tablet released soon that will have access to paid magazine subscriptions and get daily/weekly/monthly/annual magazines and books published directly to your tablet in full color, with the option of displaying BW only, full display or text only, etc.

im a man of options and various use tech....and i hate things that can be used for one single purpose, requiring you to get multiple devices.

to each their own.

btw...my eyes function the same. whether i read a book, or a iphone screen, i can read for hours on end with no difference in strain. but to you old folks....perhaps it is best to stick with your ereaders or paper books

Have a guess at how your eyesight will be when you're "old" ....
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by Stoob
    Have a guess at how your eyesight will be when you're "old" ....
    Posted via Mobile Device
    by that time....there will be easy and affordable eye-transplants....or i will be able to think about the book and the pages will magically appear in my head.

>> .i suppose if you want to be limited to BW book content only

And how many books do you read which use colored ink? (Excluding comics and kids board books etc...)

I went through a stack of about 20 books on my table @ work and none of them use colored ink.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Wasn't there a slew of e-readers unveiled at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas?

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    >> .i suppose if you want to be limited to BW book content only

And how many books do you read which use colored ink? (Excluding comics and kids board books etc...)

I went through a stack of about 20 books on my table @ work and none of them use colored ink.
    umm....cat in the hat??????

seriously though...i merely meant that ebook reader is good for one thing: display BW pages. therefore you are really limited to just novels.

tablets designed for this use with a color and dynamic screen, you can now open your reading habits to gossip rags, national geographic, tech magazines, etc...all within your comfort zone of laying on the couch with a single "reader".

imagine reading a book on Moby Dick, and getting a serious craving for nat geo's latest issue to find out more about blue whales mating rituals. a few minutes later you receive an alert that the new copy of Aquarium Fish magazine has finished downloading. Now you walk over to the porcelain god and drop the kids off at the pool....all while never putting down your single "reader"

see the difference?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast