Like Tree5Likes

ebook readers in Hong Kong?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax
    Wasn't there a slew of e-readers unveiled at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas?
    yes...lots and lots of ereaders on display, some good, some crappy, and some really crappy. they did show off a little color eink too. but there wasnt really anything impressing in this category, as more people are talking of ditching ereaders for tablets, especially with all the publisher hints and talks and demos.

>> you are really limited to just novels.

Lets see.. books on my table.

Absolute FreeBSD
    The Elephant and the Dragon
    Marketing Insights
    International Dictionary of Finance
    Foucault's Pendulum

One fiction... you're seriously underestimating the use of a good electronic book reader. If you can annotate with handwriting, think about how easy it would be to take notes and mark your textbooks in college.

It takes me 8 to 10 hours of reading to go through a medium sized paper back .. (20-24 if its a harry potter sized). Doubt any tablets with active displays would be able to handle.

Last edited by shri; 18-01-2010 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    >> you are really limited to just novels.

Lets see.. books on my table.

Absolute FreeBSD
    The Elephant and the Dragon
    Marketing Insights
    International Dictionary of Finance
    Foucault's Pendulum

One fiction... you're seriously underestimating the use of a good electronic book reader. If you can annotate with handwriting, think about how easy it would be to take notes and mark your textbooks in college.

It takes me 8 to 10 hours of reading to go through a medium sized paper back .. (20-24 if its a harry potter sized). Doubt any tablets with active displays would be able to handle.

battery life im not sure, but then again i dont read for 24 hours straight through without an ability to plug in and get some juice.

but...you get my point. besides battery life (which will depend on final design and abilities) you would have an option of switching between text only, or full color layouts. this means reading books as text only, and then switching to full color layouts for Nat Geo, and then view the daily newspaper switching between text only and full layouts, etc.

the tablets all have demoed note taking, clipboard management, etc....all amazing used for school and work and play.

What's this obsession you have with tablets, and exactly who are all these people you allude to who are talking ditching ebook readers?

Tablets have been on the market since, what, the late 90s? And they've pretty much been niche and rather crap ever since. I'm in IT, and I don't know a single IT person who has paid their own money for a tablet. In fact, I don't even know of any IT people who use a company-provided tablet. Now, that Win7 provides built-in touchscreen support we might see tablets become a little less niche, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

On the other hand, Kindle sales have gone through the roof in the US (they were reported as the single best seller on Amazon's webstore). Ebook readers are evolving fairly rapidly, and the market is expanding fast enough for them to be discussed widely in the mainstream media (even The Economist has an article upcoming colour tech in their latest issue).

I have been using a Sony reader for just over a year now. It is, hands down, the single most satisfying purchase that I have made in the last 2 years. It was cheap, it is highly mobile, the battery lasts for ages and I can carry a vast amount of reading material around at once. It does only one thing, but it does it very, very well.

I could use a tablet, but a high quality one would cost many multiples more, it would need frequent recharging and most importantly, it would hurt my eyes after extended reading. A tablet is almost the inverse of an ebook reader- it is expensive, has a short battery life, and does many functions moderately well.

If you want to spend a lot of time reading, get an ebook reader. If you want a jack-of-all-trades device, get a mobile computer of some flavour.

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends
    umm....cat in the hat??????

seriously though...i merely meant that ebook reader is good for one thing: display BW pages. therefore you are really limited to just novels.

tablets designed for this use with a color and dynamic screen, you can now open your reading habits to gossip rags, national geographic, tech magazines, etc...all within your comfort zone of laying on the couch with a single "reader".

imagine reading a book on Moby Dick, and getting a serious craving for nat geo's latest issue to find out more about blue whales mating rituals. a few minutes later you receive an alert that the new copy of Aquarium Fish magazine has finished downloading. Now you walk over to the porcelain god and drop the kids off at the pool....all while never putting down your single "reader"

see the difference?
    Yep. My enjoyment of moby dick was severly curtailed by all the interruptions! If I want to READ then I want to READ. Period. So far, I have many thousands of separate articles for indulging in this passion ... each generically known as a "book". So actually, consolidating all these individual books into one device that has the same functionality as a paperback makes perfect sense to me. And does not replace my itouch, netbook, mac or work computer ... all of which have their own niches!

I think what I am seeing is a debate by readers vs non-readers (browsers, skimmer, comic reader?) ... a real reader just wants to curl up with a book and read, and will only look at an electronic version if it has substantially the same functionality - hence the special ink, size, B&W etc.
    Last edited by MovingIn07; 18-01-2010 at 05:10 PM.

i dont know if I would call it a "non-reader" but perhaps you are right. if you only want to read a book, and do not read any other type of material, then the ereaders are a great buy.

but if you do like to read magazine subscriptions, and newspapers, etc along with books, then perhaps some of the tablets would be more suitable as a combined item.

again, the tablets do not cancel the ability for BW text only, rather they extend more possibilities to the ereader, giving it more content depth.

in the past, tablets were designed/sold as a portable computer. but at that time they were not successful as they lacked a need or interest. there was no demand, and there was no added benefits.

now, with the print industry crumbling, they are all looking in how to save the industry. and to do so, they are coming together and working towards a new medium. this is basically an ereader on crack. it does the BW text only ereader function when wanted, but also allows you to use it as a more dynamic newspaper layout, or magazine layout.

perhaps some of you never have seen any of the demos? or perhaps you are just too stubborn to imagine using a single device for all your reading purposes? or perhaps you are the type that would love to buy multiple devices that all do their single tasks....i dont know.

but i know that when i see what some of these demos are cooking up, they look a hell of a lot better then the ereaders, and give much more possibilities to the electronic reading experience.

heres a few demos:

Last edited by BenderBends; 18-01-2010 at 05:40 PM.

fth

The reason why I got mine was that I was getting fed up with the limited titles available in most of the bookstores here, and because I ran out of bookshelf space.

so any ideas where to buy ? and question to people who already have one, is that really worst that money ?

Bender- are these devices available yet or are they still concepts? If they're concepts, I'd be completely willing to re-evaluate my opinion of tablets if and when they hit the market. By which time I'd expect a serious convergence between tablets and ebook readers anyway.

But if current tablet technology is still along the lines of the Thinkpad X series, then they are still good computing/browsing devices but poor book replacements.

Quote Originally Posted by Slavic
    so any ideas where to buy ? and question to people who already have one, is that really worst that money ?
    You can buy them in Star House (Shop across from the Apple shop) but they only have models (Hanvon) with 5" screens which, in my opinion, is too small. The text size can be adjusted but at the smallest setting there is not enough text on each page (Looks like a book for an early reader) and bigger sizes are only for the seriously long sighted.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast