Like Tree5Likes

ebook readers in Hong Kong?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

these are concepts of what is being worked on now, and is highly rumored to be mostly partnered or planned for an apple tablet and ms tablet. the apple tablet is expected to be revealed officially at event on end of january.

to me... this is what a real ereader is, or the evolution of ereaders. this is why I say that there are major evolutionary changes planned in this market, and expected to hit shelves 2nd quarter
    Posted via Mobile Device

The Apple tablet is going to be around $1,000 USD, and much heavier than a Sony ereader or Kindle. I would stick to my Kindle/Sony ereader if I only want to read books, which is the purpose of the ereader.

regarding the apple slate... it's all speculation and won't be confirmed until 1/27 (USA).

but, everyone is saying that it is the next generation ereader. sure, apples would most likely fall in the higher price range, but many companies including MS are cooking up their own versions. one was demoed at ces and engadget has been writing little bits about it recently, such as 125 hour battery life and page turns in 0.03 sec. all of this faster then current ereaders, yet in color with dynamic content.

also... all the major publishers in books and magazines are working with these slate/tablet deliveries.

so... all I'm saying is this year will see major changes in ereaders. if it ain't life threatening urgent, my advice would be to wait a lil longer
    Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for the amply replies

All the techno gadgets look very attractive.

But the reason I specifically would like an ebook is because I have terrible eyes (even at age 27) and with the need to read over 6 hours of pdf and doc. files everyday for research, my eyes just cannot handle reading off of LCD screens.

I hope they develop the same technology for computer screens so that I can browse and e-mail without all the strain on my eyes.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by reignman06; 20-01-2010 at 01:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reignman06
    All the techno gadgets look very attractive.

But the reason I specifically would like an ebook is because I have terrible eyes (even at age 27) and with the need to read over 6 hours of pdf and doc. files everyday for research, my eyes just cannot handle reading off of LCD screens.

I hope they develop the same technology for computer screens so that I can browse and e-mail without all the strain on my eyes.

Thanks guys.
    as mentioned...CES demoed some color eink displays that are faster and allow more dynamic multimedia content. it will be coming more mainstream this year.

Quote Originally Posted by reignman06
    If you intend to use a reader for research, I'm not sure how good an idea this really is:

If you need large fonts, the 6 inch screens are not really going to cut it as there isn't enough display area. You're best bet would probably be along the lines of a Kindle DX, which I vaguely read would be available outside of the US. If you can handle small fonts but just can't deal with LCD screen technology, then a 6" e-ink screen would be okay for text.

6" screens are not appropriate for PDF. PDF gets shrunk down too much and an A4->6" conversion is just unreadable. Blowing up the image doesn't work well either as scrolling around on the PDF page takes too long with currently available e-ink tech.

You can't annotate easily on most readers, and flicking around piles of paper (to me) is easier and faster than searching for saved bookmarks in a reader.

The Ebook reader market looks like it'll continue to evolve quite quickly, so maybe something will come out this year that'd work for a researcher.

I finally got it, Hanvon ebook reader, i got N520 model, with 4gb SD card, it is 5 inch, around 195gr, can read txt, pdf, html, doc, mp3 and some more formats which i never used in my life.
    First i saw it, i was thinking it is a demo, because the text looks unreal, like really printed, I can answer some questions if you have, i think i already understand most of the features, i got it in Sham Shui Po, in this golden shopping arcade, basement level, in corner "Geteway" shop, 1890 HKD with some preloaded ebooks already, some English, some simple Chinese.
    I don't think i would buy any more paper books in future, most of the ebooks can be download.

(sorry for my english, not native la... )

MovingIn07 likes this.

Hum...The kindle is not very far from that price. Could you show some pics? Thank you for the detailed information!

Smile

N520 vs Kindle

N520 have no 3G and WiFi connection - you can only download first to your computer and then upload to N520 //for me it is ok, i put like 10 books, and i'm pretty sure i'm busy for next 1-2 months

N520 - 5" display compare to 6" Kindle

N520 you can do TEXT: TXT, HTXT, HTML, PDF, EPUB, DOC
    With MP3/WMA/WAV Sound and Speakers too.
    Image: JPG, TIF, BMP, PNG, GIF
    //not sure about kindle

N520, Support SD cards up to 32 GB (4gb i got for free)

N520 - no rotation screen, Kindle yes.

Well, the way i buy, i touch and play and i like it, so i just buy right away, i dont want to pay and wait for a few days..

The pictures is same, but this under different TM, but product looks same.

This is official web page of this product, with all features.
    E-book Reader-products

I hope my review helps

MovingIn07 likes this.

where/how do you buy ebooks if dont own a Kindle?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast