Like Tree5Likes

ebook readers in Hong Kong?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    because people have the mind set "they're just going to rip the books in asia".
    arent they/we?

fth

I get them from eBooks.com The World's Leading Source of eBooks, its an Aussie company. Their prices are not as good as amazon's.

The unit cost of the Eink screen from PVI in Taiwan has not really dropped in the last 18 months (approx US$60) due to surging demand. In 2-3 years these B/W devices will probably drop below the $100 mark.

Most manufacturers seem to be putting more bells and whistles on these ebook readers when surely the beauty should be simplicity, size and low maintenance. If you want bells and whistles buy a netbook.

Q3 2010 should see a range of 'alternative' models that will probably be just re-skinned models from the ODM manufacturers in China.

I'm just thinking of buying an ereader. Mainly to take hiking on my long distance hikes, so my over-riding criteria are LOW WEIGHT and LONG BATTERY life. Not planning to take a charger.

Any suggestions? I don't need wifi or 3G or colour or anything fancy. Just a basic reader than can read pdf files and ebooks that I can buy online (trashy novels for reading if its raining is all i really want!).

Where are they sold in HK? And cheap chinese/taiwanese models out there that would do but are probably not covered by western reviews of ereaders?

What do you mean by "long distance"? I'd not want to take one one anything more than a week without access to electricity. You'd also have to sort out decent screen protection otherwise loading in a backpack would destroy it pretty easily. You'd also have to protect it from water. You'd also want to use a head torch for night time reading- epaper isn't backlit.

Oh, PDFs are terrible on small ebooks. They don't handle the scaling and navigation required for displaying on a 6" screen. I've seen PDFs display fine on the iRex Illiad, but thats much larger and several times more expensive. You really need to stick with ebooks instead of PDFs.

Anyways, my Sony would be an okay device if the above were addressed. It'd last about a week with a solid amount of reading. I wouldn't rely on it more than that though. It's certainly light and small.

You're welcome to have a look at mine if you're around Central.

Thanks for the helpful response!

Long distance - 10 days, reading no more than 1 or 2 hours per day.
    Waterproofing - I am lead to believe that the standard is a ziplock kitchen bag! (there was a thread on this some time back, re reading in the bath!)
    Screen protection - probably wrap in my towel and put in the top of the rucksac where it wouldn't be squashed
    Use of head-torch - yes, I know - I don't need more functionality in this regard than a standard book (it gets dark, we go to bed)
    PDF display - this is interesting - mainly it's PDF chapters from Lonely Planet, plus a few other bits and pieces... it would be good to see this in practise!

I may take you up on the offer for a look - although note that the Sony one is twice the weight of the lightest on the market, just not sure where to buy one of the very light (6oz) ones! Do you know?

Bump!

ANYone any idea if shops in HK sell ereaders? So far I have not come across anything (I thought Dymocks did, but then realised they were quoting the Australian store online) ; cannot find anything in fortress, broadway or price.com .... surely somebody sells them here?!

[url=http://hk.search.auctions.yahoo.com/search/ac?p=ebook&cat=0&type=0]ebook

yahoo auction has quite a few sellers with ebooks, some of these sellers are actual store, one of these pro sellers has an actual store in hk, go there and buy from here:-

Digital Expert Station

Unit 25D, 13/F., Shing Yip Ind. Bldg., 19-21 Shing Yip Street,
    Kwun Tong, Kowloon, Hong Kong
    Tel : ( 852 ) 3523 1518
    Fax : 852 ) 3523 1517
    Email :[email protected]

Thanks will check them out. Looked at onyx and havron today and neither grabbed me.....
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast