Like Tree5Likes

ebook readers in Hong Kong?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7

Onyx are available in the MongKok computer centre and Hanvon in any Xinhua book store. Hanvon sell more eink ebook devices than Kindle so should be OK in terms of teething problems being ironed out.

For the oldest manufacturer of eink ebooks you can try Expansys

Buy a Bebook Electronic Book Reader, #BEBOOK-001 - eXpansys Hong Kong

BeBook (Hanlin V3) HK$2,545

Or you can buy the same model direct from the manufacturer. Make sure you ask for the V3Plus. It has 16 shades of Grey (not 4) and a faster refresh rate.

Welcome to Jinke ! ePaper Reading Device Global Leading Enterprise

Hanlin V3+ HK$2,275

Last edited by East_coast; 25-04-2010 at 06:02 PM.

UPDATE:

Thanks for all the help. I ended up getting a Pocketbook 360 online - it's tiny and weighs only 6oz even with the cover - seems to read all my lonely planet and other books fine and I'm pretty happy with it.

So - now for more recommendations for FREE, LEGAL downloads of ebooks (ideally decent books, I've googled a few sites but they seem to be for authors whose books were not good enough to get published!); or good sites for book purchases at reasonable cost (recognising this is not compatible with a Kindle, so Amazon is out, I think).

fth

Try ebooks.com for paid books and Project Gutenberg for free ones

Main Page - Gutenberg

Quote Originally Posted by fth
    Try ebooks.com for paid books and Project Gutenberg for free ones

Main Page - Gutenberg
    Perfect. Just what I wanted. Thanks.

fth

Hi! Long time since I last checked this post. In the end I bought an EDO E602 reader. I will do a short review in a second.
    But in the meantime, I'd like to ask...How is the market now? I paid something around 1400Y (didn't have much time to bargain further, anyway), and I'd like to know how is the evolution as of now...Did the prices lower down? Is there a better availability? I intend to purchase one for my mom for christmas, and I was wondering if after the kindle price bashing is there any price competence...
    Thank you!

Review of the EDO E602...
    Specs:
    dimension 198mmX120mmX7.9mm
    (4.80 in. X 7.87 in. X 0.31 in.)
    weight 265g (9.6 oz)
    Display screen 6 inch e-ink; 16 grey scale
    Resolution 800*600
    interfaces USB,3.5mm earphone
    Languages support: English, Chinese traditional & simplified (for the interface), then it also supports the following charsets: Japanese, Korea, Unicode UTF-8, UTF-16, UTF-32, and ISO8856-15 (European charsets, comprises most latin-based languages, although I missed the opening question mark "¿") and ISO8859-5 (Russian, apparently).
    Formats support TXT, PDF, ePub, DOC & XLS (excel, a little bit basic), the propietary EDO (they only have chinese books available in a chinese online shop).
    Memory 2GB memory embedded, expandable to 32G via SD card (who the hell has more than 2GB in books to require extra memory?!).
    The USB connection is 1.1...incredibly slow. But anyway, one book is usually below 2MB, so it takes only some seconds to copy them.
    The important thing: The screen. It's all you might expect. It works specially well, and readability is impressive. It has 16 tones of gray, which is (I think) one of the highest available in e-ink. It will let you load pictures in B/W and see them quite properly.
    On the average it loads the pages slightly faster than the kindle (I have a friend with one to compare), and it includes a fast-flip page mode in which it reduces the time to almost nothing, by reducing the accuracy a little bit (text then looks a little bit like computer text, not antialiased). I still prefer the slow page flip (which in comparison to the kindle still won't change to negative before showing the next page).
    Conclusion: the screen is really cool.
    Firmware: Well, here I'm not so happy. It includes Simplified/Traditional/English languages, which is fine. The charset support is not full, so some non-english text might show some missing chars, or sometimes bad word separating. It just happens a few times, but it's there. You can fiddle with the format, or change it to a different thing (from txt to .doc or pdf, for example).
    Epub support (which is the only real ebook format support) is not full. Sometimes it will dissasemble the book creating weird indexes before each page, so it's rather annoying. It's just sometimes, lately I can actually read some epub books with almost no problem.
    pdf support on the other hand is rather good. If it's a non-scanned book (meaning, it's using real text, no images), it can let you fit it in different ways. Not only you can zoom it in to get a better shot, but if your zoom is too way in and you can't even get a full line width, there's an option to break the lines to fit them in the screen. It's quite time/power consuming, but sometimes it's rather worth it.
    Firmware updates: Really scarce. I feel kind of dissapointed on that, I hope they will release another one soon. So far, only two. Last one included more formats support (epub, word and excel, they weren't supported initially, although the box promised so...had to wait a month or so to get it).
    Conclusion: mixed opinion. Not bad, but definitely could be better.
    Well, here I can say it's almost a joke. The webpage will let you choose either the chinese version of the program, or the english one, which includes the english installer then the chinese program again. There's NO english version. The software allows to update the firmware of the ebook when there's updates (not quite often), and includes an online shop to purchase chinese books. I think it also includes the chance to download some chinese newspapers/magazines everyday, but my lack of putonghua forbids me to investigate further here.
    Conclusion: If you're not a chinese speaker, you can quite basically avoid it.

Overall: Rather good, but you have to get the books on your own. Still looking for some quality epub books. I'd rather consider to actually purchase books in this format if there was a shop to offer them at a reasonable price.
    http://img202.imageshack.us/f/p1120311e.jpg/
    http://img28.imageshack.us/f/p1120315.jpg/
    http://img687.imageshack.us/f/p1120310.jpg/

Last edited by timonoj; 09-12-2010 at 10:07 AM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7