Like Tree5Likes

ebook readers in Hong Kong?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

ebook readers in Hong Kong?

Hi, I was considering the option of purchasing an ebook reader before coming to HK, as it is way cheaper than having to carry the weight of the books all the times with you...But since I was going to leave in HK I thought "nay, I'm going to a techie place, I'll buy it there cheaper, when I arrive".
    Well, it turns out to be hard to find one of those here. Anyone seen any of them in Hong Kong? (apart from the kindle...Not quite interested in surfing the web, nor buying the books from amazon...I want it to read pdf files, so I can get my own ebooks in it).
    Right now I'm using a psp as ebook reader, and it sucks big time...
    Thank you!

There were a couple of threads on this a month or two ago. In a nutshell, no, other ebook readers are not available here.

Also, PDF files absolutely suck on ebook readers. Maybe they'd be okay on a Kindle DX, but for anything smaller PDF just doesn't display conveniently.

Why they suck? I didnt' know that. Which pdf you mean, the ones that are formatted text, or the ones that are literally the scanned book, images of the pages?

Ebook reader search in HK

I am having the same problem locating ebook readers in HK.
    Seems a lot of MFGs are making them but not selling locally.
    If anyone has any info please reply!
    Thanks.

A netbook might be a viable solution, its small, light weight, runs your flavor of windows or Linux, battery can take a beating, put it on suspend to ram if you want it to boot up quick, side bonus is the wifi & internet surfing built in.

Just a thought
    Posted via Mobile Device

I'd hold of on any purchases as there is a lot happening in the industry from a hardware perspective.

Kindles - Many folks have them but I'm personally not impressed with the current e-Ink tech thats used in them.

On paper .. the one I'm most impressed by is the Copia. ( Welcome to Copia ) but I am a bit skeptical about how open the platform is and if it will get any traction at all.

Pixel Qi devices look interesting too...

If you can, wait a few months for the dust to settle.

fth

I bought an e-book reader in Helsinki duty free after giving up on finding one in Hong Kong during the summer (Sony PRS-300). Since buying it, I found the following:

+ If you like classics there is plenty of free stuff out there (Project Gutenberg) Main Page - Gutenberg, and highly readable.
    + If you spend a lot of time in a plane or have a small flat, it does save space
    + Online sellers give you a better variety, but some will try limiting you by region (Barnes and Noble only sell if you have a US postal address), or charge you.
    -/+ Amazon only sell in their format, also if you buy a Kindle check the roaming charges or buy a UK/US one online.
    - As jgl mentions pdf files do suck, syncing from a mac to ebook is unreliable, formatting for paragraphs break down (hanging sentences). Scanned docs/graphics files forget it. EPUB files are better.

Getting an e-book reader in Hong Kong is far from cheap (high end models only sold in the IFC Dymocks), or readily available, for example; distributers off alibaba, the Wan Chai computer malls will order you one without seeing the product. My personal view is to wait 6-12 months and see who wins on the format war, and for the technology to improve. There may even be the arrival of the i-Slate for us mac fans....

Last edited by fth; 17-01-2010 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Typo

yeah, it's going to be an interesting year for ebook

1st dual screen ebook
    enTourage eDGe: the dual-screen eBook reader | PC Pro blog

saw a guy using this one at an airport, it does pdf, multi-lang and only AUD $350. check out their 20,000+ free ebooks search engine, interestingly they're mostly in txt/pdf
    Ebook Reader, Ereader, Ebooks | MyBeBook.com - mybebook.com

ebook are riduculously stupid. why buy a BW tablet, that is limited to a single function????

if you want to waste money, sure, go for an ebook.
    if you want to buy a current pc of equipment, that will not be obsolete in 2 weeks, then buy a tablet.

this will be the year of tablets. netbook and ebooks are a thing of the past.

You can get e-readers in Star house but, unfortunately, only 5" versions seem to be available.

What models can you get in Dymocks?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast