Like Tree3Likes

wifi

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

wifi

when do we enter WiFi generation like telephone lines? when is WiFi really gonna work like telephone lines? like in the bus or any transportations?

hopefully pccw can sort this thing out...

Telephone lines don't work in the bus, I suspect a flaw in your use of terminology.

Search for 3G, 4G or LTE.

I have been on a public bus here in HK that had Wifi, which I successfully used with my iPhone.

and it's free! how awesome is that?

can somebody explain the original question? I don't even understand that? Is he asking "when is WiFi going to be available everywhere, including on the bus"? If yes, why not just get 3G?

translation:
    Pardon me, gentle-folk of the Internet.
    I would like to enquire, based on your knowledge of all things, at which point in the (hopefully) not too distant future, do you foresee a wire-free option for data access which permits physical line-like speeds.
    For instance, I envisage a future whereby my mobile device will be able to retrieve data from the web of knowledge at speeds akin to those of my home, physical line based, ether connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    translation:
    Pardon me, gentle-folk of the Internet.
    I would like to enquire, based on your knowledge of all things, at which point in the (hopefully) not too distant future, do you foresee a wire-free option for data access which permits physical line-like speeds.
    For instance, I envisage a future whereby my mobile device will be able to retrieve data from the web of knowledge at speeds akin to those of my home, physical line based, ether connection.
    Aha. Well that's easy. We already have it - and as others have indicated, it's variously GPRS, 3G, EDGE etc etc depending on how fast you want it!

I can't agree with that MovingIn ... wireless speeds are not yet anywhere near as quick as wired connections.
    We have a few problems to solve in this area...
    1. speed (you can never have enough)
    2. security/convenience balance - no one wants those painful pass phrases
    3. simplicity - ok, newer OS's have improved here, but it's still not as simple as it should be

Pretty much we need a plug and play wifi deal which is as reliable and convenient as ethernet or (to a lesser extent) ADSL

However fast it becomes it will never be fast enough for some people. The content being delivered will just get bigger to gobble up all the bandwidth. It the same with processors and operating systems - if you ran Windows 98 on a current generation processor it would go like an absolute rocket, but regrettably as processors get faster the operating systems get more and more bloated so there is little significant benefit overall.

Using electro-magnetic radiation does impose some fairly severe constraints on bandwidth though. You simply couldn't wirelessly feed a continuous 10Gbits per second to 100 different devices sitting within the space of a bus, for example, unless you had a personal wireless transmitter at each seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    I can't agree with that MovingIn ... wireless speeds are not yet anywhere near as quick as wired connections.
    Not unless you have a dial-up connection. Then wifi has got to be quicker.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast