Wireless networking problem with Netvigator

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I actually have the same hardware/router configuration as iceman (and the same problems), but my question is even more basic.

What exactly is PPPoE? I've googled several sites, but still am a bit confused.

Also, right now, I have to always log into Netvigator whenever I reboot my computer. Apparently, I am logging in through PPPoE.

My previous cable modem provider connection was always on. I rarely had to log into it. Is there a way to set my Netvigator so that it is always on? .

Thank you.

tsuiwah, you can configure your router to automatically login to your netvigator account. That's what I do. Then you will be logged in all the time that your router is on whether or not you reboot your computer.

KIA

I have no security enabled to start with. Don't know what else to change and how to tackle it.

discobay
    I don't thin it is hardware problem in my laptop, this used to work like charm in Switzerland

I think it is EVIL design of PCCW to not allow their customers to login using Wireless. This is so frustrating.

It is not possible for pccw to monitor whether you are using a wireless router. Did you buy this router here? If you were using it somewhere /another ISP may be you may have their setting/firewall/mac address filter on. Check the status of the router on status page. If nothing works, do a full reset of router.

I am using netvigator with wireless for ages with no problem at all.

Cheers

Smile

If you are using norton internet security that will also stop you from accessing the router if it is not configured properly. Disable it and see if it works.

I (and many many other people) happily use Wireless routers with Netvigator.

If your laptop is trying to log on to Netvigator when it is connected through the router then there is something wrong with your configuration - it should be the router which is doing the Netvigator login. Your PC is simply connected to the router - it doesn't need to log on to anything.

You need to uninstall any software which Netvigator told you that you needed to install on your laptop - you don't need any at all. Then just simply configure your router to login using PPPoE with the userid ( <something>@netvigator.com ) and password which you have for Netvigator.

First of all, my comments about the "Evil design" was not a serious one, it was just way to express my frustration.

Secondly, the connection seems to be working fine now. Didn't change anything but could listen to streaming audio yesterday and also today morning. The only thing I did was to call customer service and shout at them and also told that I won't pay the bill if the problem is not resolved.

Last but not least, sincere thanks to each one of you who tried to help.

Lets see for how long it works fine.

Cheers

Lessons that might help others

I had the PCCW technician visit and take a look at the internet problem that I was having.

1) According to him, there was some problem with the cable outside my apartment in the building

2) According to him, port 1 in the NEC modem should be used for TV and port 4 should be used for cable. Port 3 and Port 2 are not enabled

My 2 cents just in case someone is having similar issues.

Glad it worked out. I was going to suggest that your problem might be the fact that you're in Zurich and PCCW only works in Hong Kong.

Hi Iceman,

can you describe to me how exactly you configured your cables to run a wireless connection? My set-up is as follows: telephone splitter near the telephone wall-socket with one telephone cable going to my landline phone and the other into the WAN socket on the NEC modem provided by PCCW Netvigator. Then I have two network cables leaving the modem, the one in Port 1 going to the Now TV box and the one in Port 2 connects to the PC (I don't think ports 3 & 4 are active, it appears this is different on your modem though). This has worked well for me for the past year.

How did you integrate the router into this set-up? Did you connect the phone cable to the router or did you leave that in the WAN socket on the NEC modem and connect the router via a cable from the NEC modem? What type of cable? and which port did you use?

I'm unable to get an active WAN / PPPoE connection for wireless (although LAN/Ethernet are okay), see also this thread: http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/thread7052.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast