Wireless networking problem with Netvigator

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Angry Wireless networking problem with Netvigator

Hi All,

Recently got Netvigator DSL connection at home but for some reason the Wireless network that I am trying to set up doesn't work properly. The connection works sometimes but mostly it cannot download the page "No page to display"

Configuration
    NEC DSL modem (from PCCW)
    NETGEAR MR 814v2 (my own)
    Thinkpad T40

The icon in the sytem tray says
    Speed: 11 Mbps
    Signal Strenght: Excellent

My laptop is right next to the router so it is not a problem of signal strength.

I also tried to install the connection using "IBM Access Connections" but not much help, in there also it shows "Excellent" connection.

I logged into the the NETGEAR Router and tried to change the channel and all but nothing helped.
    Neither MAC address nor WEP security is turned on.

I am not much of a technical person.

Any ideas how can I diagnose the problem and resolve it.
    When I call Netvigator support line then I have to connect directly to the modem using the cable and then it works fine. They won't support the wireless.

Iceman

It doesn't sound like the problem is the wireless per se (if you can log on to the router over wireless then it certainly isn't).

If you plug in to a wired port on the Netgear does it work or not?

Have you set up the User ID and password (and PPPoE connection method) correctly in the Netgear router? For hassle-freeness you should also clone the MAC address of your laptop on the Netgear - all ISPs can sometimes get a bit funny about seeing multiple MAC addresses.

Last edited by PDLM; 02-01-2006 at 05:06 PM.

If you log into the Netgear, is it connected to Netvigator and have a netvigator IP address? Also, can you ping www.netvigator.com from the router's web based diagnostics?

Many thanks for the replies, I am getting really frustrated with this problem

PDLM

Following is the router status that I can see when I login to my router over wireless, let me know if something looks odd or weird.
    I have configured the netvigator login in my router and also connecting through PPPoE, don't know how to change MAC address though.

Router Status

Account Name MR814v2
    Firmware Version Version 5.03 Nov 18 2003

Internet Port
    MAC Address 00:04:23:81:e8:ce
    IP Address 220.246.164.32
    DHCP PPPoE
    IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    Domain Name Server

LAN Port
    MAC Address 00:0f:b5:14:5e:76
    IP Address 192.168.0.1
    DHCP On
    IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Wireless Port
    Name (SSID) Raj
    Region Asia
    Channel 11
    Wireless AP On
    Broadcast Name On

KIA

I don't know how to ping from the router but I tried to do ping IBM Access Connections->Network->Diagnostics
    I tried www.netvigator.com and couple of times the "Request Timed Out"
    Then i did the same for www.cnn.com and all the ping packets timed out

iceman make sure that the radio light at the bottom of the lcd on the row of lights is permanently on. Also if you are leaving the notebook unattended for some time it may be automatically switching off the radio to conserve power if not plugged in to the ac. To keep the radio on enable the high performance mode.

No clue what this IBM access is.. third party utilities are usually the problem.

Can you go to your control panel and look at the Network Connections. Do you see a wireless connection in there?

if you see a wireless connection, can you right click on the wireless connection and do a "view available networks". Do you see one called "Raj"?

IBM Access Connections Manager is the best software for his IBM T40.

KIA

Yes, I do see a connection called "Raj" with 100% signal strength

discobay

I am not leaving the Laptop unattended, I am sitting on it and hitting refresh page.
    The LCD radio light is not "ON" permanently, it keeps coming on and off.

Ok.. .so

1) You can see the router
    2) The router connects properly to netvigator

All you need to do is now figure out how to connect your computer to the router.

What I'd recommend you do is remove ALL encryption and security from the router and see if you can connect to it from your notebook. Disable all WEP / WPA / Mac Address filtering..

The router should be setup to support DHCP for clients.

Now, if you can connect to the router from using the wireless connection on your notebook, the chances are you had some security related config problems. Work your way by adding some security back. The chances are there is an issue with how the security / encryption Key gets negotiated / exchanged.

Maybe a hardware fault.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast