Like Tree17Likes

Camera vs heat and humidity

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Camera vs heat and humidity

Hello everybody!

I have acquired a digital SLR (EOS 450D) a couple of weeks ago, and carry it in the bag that was given to me with it.
    As the heat and humidity are coming back, I thought about going to Stanley St, to one of the photo shops, in order to buy some Silica gel, to put in my bag, to keep everything safe. (I remember our electronic doing strange things last summer).

Well, the guy there told me it was ridiculously useless to put silica gel in my bag, and suggested hermetic boxes to store all my hardware.

So I come here to ask you guys who might have some DSLRs what you do to fight heat and especially humidity while in HK?
    Is it absolutely necessary to buy these boxes?
    Thanks for all the information you could give me!
    Bye
    S.

i've been in hk for 3 years.

i leave my slr in a bag, in a drawer, in a cupboard. basically i don't have any specific "protection" for it. no problems so far.

i do however have my dehumidifier running all the time during summer though.

Smejko likes this.

I keep my camera, lenses and all other electronic stuff in a box when not being used. It was only about HKD 180 from Pricerite, much cheaper than replacement equipment. The humidity ruined my calculator just after I arrived, so there was no way I was going to take that risk with anything else.

It really depends on where you live though. I have water running down the walls of my apartment at the moment :/

Skyhook and Smejko like this.

Er, if you have water running down the walls, why don't you buy a dehumidifier?

If you keep you whole apartment at a reasonable humidity (say 55-60%) then your camera will be fine, but even 2 or 3 days of 85%+ and you may have a problem.

Smejko likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tinlissie
    I keep my camera, lenses and all other electronic stuff in a box when not being used. It was only about HKD 180 from Pricerite, much cheaper than replacement equipment. The humidity ruined my calculator just after I arrived, so there was no way I was going to take that risk with anything else.

It really depends on where you live though. I have water running down the walls of my apartment at the moment :/
    I do the same as tinlissie, all my camera's are in one big sealed, snap down, airtight box, which is kept in the bottom of a cupboard.

No problems so far, and like Tinlissie, got the camera box from pricerite for around $200.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 26-02-2010 at 03:58 PM.
    Smejko and Drunken Master like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    Er, if you have water running down the walls, why don't you buy a dehumidifier?

If you keep you whole apartment at a reasonable humidity (say 55-60%) then your camera will be fine, but even 2 or 3 days of 85%+ and you may have a problem.
    I do have a dehumidifier. I should have said that if it was not switched on, I would have water running down the walls, as in the communal areas of my building.

I'm often away for a few weeks at a time but the dehumidifier tank gets full after a day or two.
    Smejko likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

UNY and Jusco have Japanese plastic containers which are airtight (you can identify them by the blue seal around the inside of the lid). Come in a variety of sizes with the most expensive costing around $120, or it was the last time we purchased. We use these for certain items and haven't lost anything to the humidity in years and years. These are the only ones we have found which are actually airtight (and watertight) and are available in 30cm length.

Smejko likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tinlissie
    I'm often away for a few weeks at a time but the dehumidifier tank gets full after a day or two.
    Most dehumidifiers can be fitted with a hose which allows them to run continuously.

Right!
    Thanks for your replies!
    So I'll have a look for these boxes, then.
    And you put Silica gel inside, I suppose?

You can just put one of the dehumidifying sachets from Wellcome (or PnS I guess) inside.

(that's a bag of 5 costing about $35)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast