Like Tree5Likes

Combination washer/dryer

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

No actually. The current HK Electric charge (including the "fuel surcharge") is HK$0.884 / kWh. The current CLP charge is HK$0.897/kWh.

(These are for low usages - there are tiered tariffs once you get above 150 or 200 kWh/month)

In the UK, for example, the price of electricity is about £0.12/kWh, which is, roughly HK$1.4/kWh. So the price in the UK is substantially higher than that in HK.

Similarly, the price of electricity in the US (take NY State as an example) is about US$0.17-0.20/kWh, which is much the same as the UK price - again much more expensive than HK.

Hence my question as to "compared to where" justsomebody2 was claiming that electricity prices in HK are "insane".

Last edited by PDLM; 04-03-2010 at 04:29 PM.
    fth, twitceh and vino-n-cheese like this.

Washing machine alone is fine - generally I dry on the line outside for 10-11 months of the year. If it is too wet / humid to dry outside for a few days, I'll use the laundry downstairs which costs HK$30 or so for a full load wash and dry.

What I meant was electricity based on average home use, HKE compared to CLP, it is not news that the results were the average home user CLP bill is half of what someone living inside HK island would be paying using HKE.

I was also referring to electric usage at home being insane if you run a washer, dryer, 1 to 2 AC units being more then "Room Cooler Category" of 1 or greater, you can expect your electric bill in HK island to be well over $1k+ a month compared to CLP which will be roughly half that.

Sry for the confusion

Er, no. For the same amount of electricity CLP is more expensive that HK Electric. If you bothered to read and understand what I wrote you would see that.

not going to debate this with you, I don't have time to troll forums all day long..

I was doing research a while back after receiving a HKE bill.... "wtf, my electric bill is 1.3k"....

I have compared actual electric bills from apartments based off HK island and another in hung hom, both bills were divided based off kWH usage for that month and it equaled out to roughly $1.9x/kwH in Hong Kong island and was something like $1.1x or so in hung hom... note that this is the entire bill amount/kwh so it's an average based of (total montly bill/kwh used), both bill was about the same kwh.

Bottom line is HKE cost more to use then CLP on average if you are a high electricity user, unless you don't use a AC unit and a washer/dryer, then it will probably work out about the same, but still, CLP is still a tad cheaper even if you use less then 150 units a month, assuming that what they mean units = kwh.

I'd imagine most house holds would be way above the 150kwh a month as they would have 1 - 2 AC units + Washer, maybe dryer and not to mention other house hold appliances.

But to be on topic, I said what I said as the OP mentioned washer + dryer, that just made me remember the amount of electric that these appliance can use when washing laundry for a family of 3+ which will all add up at the end of the month.

It is indeed true that if you use a large amount of electricity then the bill from HK Electric will be higher than that for CLP. But even HK Electric's top marginal rate of HK$1.504 (vs CLP's of HK$1.102) is only about the same as the US and UK prices, so I still don't understand where your "insane" came from. Electricity in HK is cheap by world standards.

By the way, my latest (HK Electric) electricity bill with me home all day using aircon and dehumidifiers as necessary and doing my own laundry at home was 244 units at a cost of $225, so don't assume that your extravagant use of electricity fits all. For most single people who go out to work I expect it would be lower than this. Below about 300 units/month HK Electric is cheaper than CLP. Above that usage CLP is cheaper.

Last edited by PDLM; 04-03-2010 at 06:50 PM.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

We run a washer/dryer, couple of air-cons (summer), tv, stereo, lights, rechargable vacuum, a couple of computers, my mega-strength hairdryer, etc. and we've never had an electricity bill anywhere near $1K a month with HK Electric.

You're obviously not trying hard enough. Did last year's electric subsidy not encourage you to waste more power?

Can anyone confirm that electricity is billed quarterly? Just making sure.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

It's monthly for HK Electric. And every two months for CLP, I believe.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast