Like Tree5Likes

Combination washer/dryer

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Electric water heating is heavy on the elecky.

I remember the cheapest bill we ever had was during a mild winter - $70. Yes, that was with a washer/dryer in use.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    Even when I've been home all day all month through the height of summer with aircons, dehumidifiers, computers, washing machine, and so on, my HK Electric bill has never been over HK$1500/month ($1200 after the Government rebate) and mostly it's far less than that.
    You probably even mean 2 months if you say 300 in rebate. I run dehumidifier, computer and aircon 24/7, have a washing machine with dryer that I always use and the highest bill I ever got was about 1200 for 2 months (900 after rebate) for a 520 sqft. place. But I have the most economic appliances.

Okay, I just looked at my most recent electrical bill and it is $2300 (for two months). And, over the course of the past tweleve months, I probably had a couple that were higher than that.
    We do have electrical water heating, so maybe that does it. Plus everything else in a large apartment.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth
    Okay, I just looked at my most recent electrical bill and it is $2300 (for two months). And, over the course of the past tweleve months, I probably had a couple that were higher than that.
    We do have electrical water heating, so maybe that does it. Plus everything else in a large apartment.
    Look at your appliances. Even at the low electricity prices in Hong Kong it pays to spend a few dollars more on them. A replacement can amortize very quickly if you currently run the wrong machines. Window type air conditioners are very likely such for example. Landlords don't usually care for the tenant's electricity bills rathter than their own savings.

It also saves a lot to run a separate dehumidifier, since that allows to set the aircon 3-5 degrees higher without feeling hot. I feel perfectly comfortable with 26-27 degrees at 50%. Then the cooling required is only a few degrees different to the outside temperature most of the year. And as a side effect dry air is not what the roaches like.
    Last edited by hktraveller; 09-03-2010 at 09:29 AM.

While we're on the subject of saving electricity, has anyone worked through the sums on the cost-effectiveness of double-glazing an apartment here? Or even better, actually put double-glazing in and seen the results in practice? I realise that the lack of insulation in the walls isn't going to help, but there must be some benefit in terms of reducing aircon costs?

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    While we're on the subject of saving electricity, has anyone worked through the sums on the cost-effectiveness of double-glazing an apartment here? Or even better, actually put double-glazing in and seen the results in practice? I realise that the lack of insulation in the walls isn't going to help, but there must be some benefit in terms of reducing aircon costs?
    I have double glazing with 2x 10 mm glass in wooden windows imported from Germany (far not as expensive as it may sound) and I believe it doesn't help all that much for temperature insulation. It may contribute a small factor though.

Much more efficient would be to keep the inside temperature not at a bigger differnce than 3-4 degrees and dehumidify to be comfortable.
    Humidity balances out through all rooms with open doors, where temperature does not.

The main reason I use these windows is the noise, and there they do more than a miracle. The traffic noise on a busy road in TST is completely locked out.
    Last edited by hktraveller; 10-03-2010 at 11:05 AM.
    PDLM likes this.

actually i once saw a service in europe where they would come and measure out your apartment to identify some hot/cold spots where leakage occurs.

i believe that windows are only one thing, but almost always there are fans in windows or other open spots which are not closed and leak cold/hot in. i wish there would be such a service here in hk

Right, I am guessing our appliances are old, we have many floor-ceiling windows which are not double-glazed, we have those fans in all the bathrooms and you can always feel the cold in those rooms, along with the rain. Plus we have two toddlers and try to keep their rooms more comfortable at night than our room. It all adds up.

Maybe my English-American translation is off but is double glazing the same as a 'storm window' (I don't think so but thought I should ask) I think double glazing is two panes of glass in one window. More common in the states are 'storm windows' which are solid panes of glass that you put into the window sill, usually in the winter months to help save on heating costs by reducing air circulation through the window (though they are no where nearly as effective as a truly energy efficient / double-triple glazed window). But they are considerably cheaper than all new windows.

Not sure if that is an option or not.

The other neat thing I would mention is a laser / infrared thermometer. You can point it at someplace in your house (i.e. the upper corner of a window or something) and it will give you a temperature of that location, so you can sort of identify areas where heat/cold is getting into your house.

Last edited by penguinsix; 13-03-2010 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax
    We run a washer/dryer, couple of air-cons (summer), tv, stereo, lights, rechargable vacuum, a couple of computers, my mega-strength hairdryer, etc. and we've never had an electricity bill anywhere near $1K a month with HK Electric.
    you're lucky... our two bills over the summer months come to about $12,000 (for 4 months)!!!! i get a pit in the bottom of my stomach when those bills come in the post.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast