SLR Camera related question.. which one's the best?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

You might even want to consider a Nikon. The D70 is good but if you have a bit more $$s to spend go for a D200. It's awesome and I can't wait to take it on a trip to India in a few weeks.

Being the novice that i am...

Can you tell me Jared what is better with the nikon 200 when compared to a 70 d... sorry if i am sounding foolish!!

Quote Originally Posted by martyn
    I would disagree with this statement. If you are just taking the plunge into dSLR, I would recommend having practise with the kit lens before buying any other lenses. The only exception to what I suggested is probably the "plastic fantastic" - the 50mm f/1.8.
    Ironically I was going to add that at the end but then got distracted!

Another difference with an SLR and SLR-like is the viewfinder- on most SLR-like cameras it is digital whereas SLR isn't. (Right Martyn?!)

I too am planning to buy my first dSLR. I'm planning on getting the Canon EOS 350D. I'll probably be shopping around a bit to get some quotes; I'm happy to share them with you here if you'd like to do the same - that way we can make sure we're not getting ripped off!

I'm planning on getting it without the kit lens, and buying another lens sep., although I'm not sure which one yet. The reviews I read said just go one notch up from the kit lens.

Hey Esque...

Thatz a great suggestion...but i wont go around looking till the weekend...this weekend i should be able to post some prices..

the ones i already know are from broadway and fortress are..it is 7680 i think with the basic lens...18-55 mm...
    but i did get to know about another place from kristof here at the wan chai computer centre where the camera with the kit should cost about 6400$...hope we r as lucky as him

please do let me know once u do find something...u can PM me!
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lammarite
    Another difference with an SLR and SLR-like is the viewfinder- on most SLR-like cameras it is digital whereas SLR isn't. (Right Martyn?!)
    That's right, DSLR's use pentamirrors (well for Canon im sure).

I bought my 350D from Wing Shing Photo Supplies in Mongkok (Exit E), they were very friendly and helpful.

Checked out cameras at WCC but they seemed much more expensive versus the US. Any other suggestions for places to buy cameras?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by esque
    I too am planning to buy my first dSLR. I'm planning on getting the Canon EOS 350D. I'll probably be shopping around a bit to get some quotes; I'm happy to share them with you here if you'd like to do the same - that way we can make sure we're not getting ripped off!

I'm planning on getting it without the kit lens, and buying another lens sep., although I'm not sure which one yet. The reviews I read said just go one notch up from the kit lens.
    i agree with that in theory.. however, the "good" (and bad) thing about the DSLR's if you buy the "prosumer" ones (350D, 20D) is that the sensor is 2/3 the size of 35mm film. this means in effect you are cropping the image from the lens, and thus only using the central part of the lens. this part of the lens is much more precise than the edges of the lens, and will result in sharper focus at the periphery of the image than you would get with a film or full sized sensor. even cheap EF lenses will produce nice images. in saying that, the EF-S series canon lenses are designed for the DSLRs, and the cheaper ones still suffer from the loss of focus/detail at the edge of the image, so generally it would be better to buy better than the "kit" lens if you can afford it.

re where to buy - someone previously mentioned coxell's booth... i've never been there (yet) so can't give u any details... mb someone else know's where it is?
    Last edited by dropdedfwed; 15-01-2006 at 02:10 PM.

It all depends on what kind of object u like to shoot at.
    If ur unsure, just buy the kit and play around with it for awhile until you know the type of photographer you are

i usually buy at wing shing in mong kok, i hope to find some where cheaper and reliable too

I just bought a Canon Kiss Digital N (Japanese version of 350D- same but has metal body instead of plastic) from one of the shops along Nathan Rd in TST. Dunno why anyone would buy from Fortress. RRP's are just so you know what to compare with when you haggle!

I find it is smaller and is more comfortable in my hand than the Nikon D50- which felt too big.

Make sure you actually hold them at the shop.

There's nothing like trying out the real thing!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast