SLR Camera related question.. which one's the best?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

SLR Camera related question.. which one's the best?

I am looking to buy a Konica minolta Dynax 5D (Digital SLR camera) priced at 7280 HKD at fortress..it comes with a 18-70mm lens

Before i make my final decision...i sought out help from u all!
    I have a few questions which i am posting here...

1. Between the Canon EOS 350 D,the Konica minolta Dynax 5D and the Nikon D 50...does anyone have ideas which is a better one from personal experience??I am a starter and so not lookin for a professional one..

2. Is fortress/broadway the best place i can buy the camera in terms of warranty and best price?Or is it safe to pick it up at mong kok or other places?

3. How would you rate the Sony DSC R1 which is a SLR-like camera in comparison to the three i have mentioned above?

I look forward for help from u all!
    Many thanks in advance

You can first take a look at http://www.dpreview.com/

Thanks kristof...
    i went thru it...
    actually i read a post from u in last year's thread and tried to PM u...but seems ur mailbox is full!!

i see you have a Canon EOS 350D...can you please give me the place from where u bought it and also tell me how u r liking the camera??

Because i read u bought it for 6400...whereas now the kit at fortress/broadway costs 7680...so please help!

There have been a few threads regarding this recently and the general consensus is that the 350D comes out tops. As a 20D user I think that Canon is better anyway but there are many from each camp who claim their brand is the best! Just to confuse you, Olympus also do a good digital SLR.
    I bought my 20D in the Coxell in Wanchai Computer Centre for a good price with good service from the staff. Do not confuse it with teh one just outside the WCC as they seem to be more expensive!
    If you go for the 350 I would advise you to look at an alternative lens than the one the kit comes with- the 17-85 EFS for instance. That is if your funds run to the extra HKD4K it runs to.

Hmmm...thanks for the "olympus" help lammarite!!
    but then...wont take the bait there!!

probably canon eos 350 d is what i'll decide finally!and will see about the lens...

thanks

I purchased my first SLR last year, the Nikon D70. It is a great camera but it is so heavy and bulky I never used it and ended up trading it in for a pocket sized camera.

Do not make the same mistake I did when purchasing a camera. Just remember that the bigger and heavier your camera, the less you are likely to use it!

Thanks maddogerick...shall give it another thought

Have another questions for the pros here....what actually is a difference between a SLR and SLR-Like cameras when the SLR-like actually gives u a lens like 18-200 mm...

please advise!

Quote Originally Posted by oormila
    Thanks maddogerick...shall give it another thought

Have another questions for the pros here....what actually is a difference between a SLR and SLR-Like cameras when the SLR-like actually gives u a lens like 18-200 mm...

please advise!
    The SLR would definitely be faster than an SLR-like camera, also has a bigger sensor which results in less noise. Alot of the SLR-like's arnt "wide", most of them start at around 35mm and zoom to about 400+mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammarite
    If you go for the 350 I would advise you to look at an alternative lens than the one the kit comes with- the 17-85 EFS for instance. That is if your funds run to the extra HKD4K it runs to.
    I would disagree with this statement. If you are just taking the plunge into dSLR, I would recommend having practise with the kit lens before buying any other lenses. The only exception to what I suggested is probably the "plastic fantastic" - the 50mm f/1.8.

Thanks martyn for the info...
    i guess now i have more or less decided on an SLR and not SLR-like...

the fight continues between canon eos 350d and konica minolta dynax 5d!!

thanks all

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast