Like Tree8Likes

Best DSLR Camera for taking product shots?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best DSLR Camera for taking product shots?

I am currently in the market for a DSLR camera for taking product shots, specifically jewelry. I'm not familiar with DSLRs, so would like some advice on which to get, and what kind of lens and other accessories to add? Budget is around 4-6K. Canon or Nikon? Any photographers can advise? Thanks!

You might need a DSLR camera, I have the Canon G11 which is the Semi Pro and am delighted with the quality of the shots.

Pretty much foolproof and also a big step up from your standard Digital Cameras.

For the Jewelry then I suggest you get a lightbox which will show the products off better.

Eddy Mundo likes this.

For low budget, i.e. not buying separate lenses you will find the stock Nikon lens better than Canon, the body is really pretty much irrelevant. However your budget is on the low side, and so you really need to spend the time to consider the lighting setup you need, which in HK will entail a few different stores. As to what accessories you need and how to best take the photos you really need some time with a professional product photographer - jewelry is particular problematic due to the reflective and multi-faceted surfaces.

Buy a tonne of books, Google a lot, and ideally hire a local product photographer and spend some time with them.

Last edited by MrMoo; 09-03-2010 at 01:57 PM.
    Eddy Mundo likes this.

The camera body is not so important for macro, it's really the lenses.

In the Canon world, the lenses to consider are:

EF100 2.8 Macro
    Sigma 150 2.8 EX DG HSM

I have no idea what to look for on the Nikon side of things, though the Sigma should be available there too.

If your quality requirements are not too high (casual webpage stuff) then the G11 which Jimbo recommends could fit the bill. It does have some shortcomings though- it is nowhere near as sharp as a DSLR for really closeup work (it wouldn't be suitable for high quality catalogues), and on mine I have noticed a degree of chromatic abberation which could render it unsuitable for jewellery work. But it's only about 4 grand vs twice that for a DSLR body + 1 decent lens.

If you get really serious about it, you're also going to have to learn about lighting- ring and side flashes. That's a whole other area of photography, but strobist is a good place to start.

For simpler accessories, you're going to need a tripod and a remote shutter release. If you're going to be using the camera a lot, then getting a decent tripod would be a good investment- cheap tripods are a complete pain in the ass to work with. Get a small Benro (Gitzo clone) and a cheapish ballhead if you're using a DSLR. With a G11 you could get away with something much cheaper like a big Gorillapod.

Huh, I only just noticed your budget. If you're thinking 6k max, then a DSLR setup is pushing the edges of that. There's some guy's pricelist here so you can check yourself: Welcome to YG Billy's World of Photography

If anyone could explain what the two price columns mean, that'd be great as I don't read Chinese.

Edit: the place in HK for cheap camera accessories is Ap Lui Street in SSP. Plenty of stores selling clone tripods, lighting boxes and flashes in case you need to get quite serious about your macro shots.

Last edited by jgl; 09-03-2010 at 02:07 PM.
    Eddy Mundo likes this.

Oh, it does look like any Nikon kit that contains a 18-55mm VR Lens or 18-55 II lens could be appropriate. It's a kit lens that has a reputation for good macro ability.

Two things you need:

- decent macro lens

- decent lighting.

The last is probably the most crucial.

Eddy Mundo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    Oh, it does look like any Nikon kit that contains a 18-55mm VR Lens or 18-55 II lens could be appropriate. It's a kit lens that has a reputation for good macro ability.

Based on the above... I'm leaning towards this:

http://www.fortress.com.hk/fortress/...d=ANIKD5000KIT

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Mundo
    Based on the above... I'm leaning towards this:

http://www.fortress.com.hk/fortress/...d=ANIKD5000KIT
    D5000 is an OK camera.

However I suggest you get the D3000 and get the SB-600 flash and a tripod.

i'd be suggesting a macro as suggested before, for a few reasons. mostly b/c macro lens is designed to have a flat focal field, therefore for macro pictures and reproductive work u get a better image.

i have the canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro, and it is a great lens for the money. Once again, by the time you buy a basic DSLR, and get some lighting, and a lens that won't let you down, you are looking at 8-10k.

some point and shoots and a few pro-sumer cameras will do ok, but you really cannot beat a lens that is made for a purpose. any multipurpose product will have compromises (eg a pocket camera has amazing lens distortion, but great depth of field, is small, cheaper etc... a DSLR costs more, but a good macro lens will have negligible barrel distortion, and u can control the depth of field)..

the camera body is not really a big deal for what you want.

there are some decent third party macro lenses too. for a DSLR, 60-70mm macro is quite verstile, similar to the ever popular 100mm length on film/rull-frame cameras.

i think they make this for nikon too... it gets a highly recommended by photozone, FWIW
    http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/30...w--test-report

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikko...review?start=1

Last edited by dropdedfwed; 09-03-2010 at 04:52 PM.
    Eddy Mundo likes this.

Why don't you have a look at http://dpreview.com? They have very active forums on all sorts of cameras, lenses and lights, and the users will be able to give you very good advise. There are also professional photographers with experience in the kind of photography you want to take.

At the end of the day most DSLRs are very similar, it's just which one you like using because of the ways it handles.

Eddy Mundo likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast