Canon 350D

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

For Canon (and Sigma, Tamron) lens reviews and discussion take a look at www.fredmiranda.com. E.g. the new 70-300mm 'IS' lens is well thought of (though it should be at a similar price to the camera!).

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...hp?product=294

The one you're talking about may not be so good - is it this one...?

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...&cat=27&page=2

If you can afford IS technology, it is well worth it when you're shooting a lot of the time at maximum zoom. I've been using another variant - the 70-300mm IS DO lens and am very happy with it - it could be a bit sharper at 300mm but it has no CA and is, most importantly, easy to lug around.

24-105 f4 L ftw !!!
    will be a good walk around lens and good investment imho

Quote Originally Posted by tt2003:
    Wing Shing are very good IMO too. I got a Canon from there last year with good price and a few 'freebies' thrown in. At least make sure you check the prices out there before you head to a Fortress, lest they try and charge you much more than anywhere else where you'd still get the same warranty / extras.

Wing Shing Photo Supplies Co. Ltd Mong Kok G/F., 57 Sai Yeung Choi St., Mongkok 2396 6886

Quote Originally Posted by martyn:
    Hi Kevin. The Canon 75-300 apparently suffers from CA (Chromatic Aberrations) and will pincushioning @ 300mm.

$1300 should be for the USM version right?
    hey martyn,

i agree re the CA and pincushioning with this lens (i have used it for about 5yrs), but 2 things i might point out (because i'm feeling picky )

1 those people that buy the 350D are generally not going to be that fussy about pincushioning or barrell distortion, or CA

2 as far as i can see (i am short sighted though ) these problems are far less of an issue with digital cameras than they were with film (apart from the full sized digital sensors) as the digital SLRs crop the use of the lens to a smaller, more precise central region of the lens, where these problems are minimized..

DDF
    Last edited by dropdedfwed; 17-01-2006 at 04:35 PM.

Image Stabiliser et al

another thing that may annoy the "purists"... (because i can...)

the sensor and software in the "new" canon series cameras (eg 350D vs 300D, 20D vs 10D etc) has an amazing low light capability. even pics at iso 1600 in bad light are quite clear, amazingly free of noise, with high contrast and resolution.

so what? wellllll.....

don't despair if you cant afford an IS lens. just swing camera mode dial to "P" mode, run the iso up (100iso is "normal") and shoot away. if u up the iso from 100 to 800, you can reduce exposure time 8 fold (3 stops). ie an exposure of 1/15s becomes 1/120s, more than fast enough to hold by hand. you do trade off some resolution, but unless you are printing posters, you wont really know. compare this to film, where even porfessinal 800 speed film will produce grainy pics in low light, that is noticeable even at 6x4 print size.

just my tuppence worth...

oh, and just a bit more on the 75-300mm lens. quality = weight. the cheap lenses are light. good lenses weigh a ton. add that to an already beefy 350D, and you have a handful. ok for the occassional snap, but if you're waiting in baited breath for that bird to take off, your arms may give up before your patience. i have (amatuer) shot a few weddings using a 20D with battery pack, 550EX speedlite and 28-135mm IS USM lens. the package weighed close to 2kg. after 4 hrs i was getting a little tired of holding the darn thing up. the cheap lens artifacts are less of an issue in digital, as optics are better in the middle of the lens, and digital crops the image down 2/3 in size.

make it a thrippence

Last edited by dropdedfwed; 17-01-2006 at 05:06 PM.

hmm i'm heading over to HK in early feb, and i am thinking of getting the 350d with a few accessories too, like a camera case, cf card, and a tripod.

so from all these replies, my best bet is to head to wingshing for the best deals? anyone got an idea of how much the 350d costs there.
    do the guys there understand much english? (im from aus)
    oh and does it come with international warranty!

thanks for the help

i just found this website
    http://www.ygdragon.net/index.php?pa...ameraprice.htm

do u guys think this list is accurate?

At digital concept in Wan chai computer centre(on the first floor)...
    the price for eos 350 d with kit lens(18-55mm), tripod and camera case and 2 year hongkong or 1 year international warranty was 6300$ on saturday...may reduce another 100-200$ on bargaining...this was just the "quote price" before bargain!!

the shop offers really competitive rates and also gives u a warranty...so maybe one can consider it..

also has lenses for sale separately..

Quote Originally Posted by razjor:
    i just found this website
    http://www.ygdragon.net/index.php?pa...ameraprice.htm

do u guys think this list is accurate?
    i beleive so.. i have seen this list before (early-mid 2005), and it has been updated recently (a few more products, some price changes, and a few obsolete items listed). obviously they are prices without haggling or bargaining. it's very comprehensive, and from what i have seen, pretty darn accurate. i'm only going by a handfull of products on the list that i know the rough prices of in HK.

Hi.friend

I saw your message on few expert are you looking for the camera Canon Eos350d I have a friend hwho have that camera with all accessories memory card and lens as well so he left already Hong-Kong so he told me if I was a good buyer so I can sell it so if you not found yet That camera model so you can leave your number so I can send you the pictures pictures if you like then we will make a meeting and then I give it So it's a it's second hand camera but it's all in a good conditions so you ever any offer so please let me know
    Thanks