Basic photography tips,where to find?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Badzoo:
    hmm, in my case, I want to know if someone has a dark room.... It may be silly, but since I came to Hong Kong, every room I went to has a windows, and as I don't want to spend my time to lightproof them, I did not process my rolls.
    It's not too difficult to make a darkroom from a bathroom. Smaller window and running water- just like bathrooms in most other countries laaa?
    Some of the pro camera shops may be able to point you in the direction of a darkroom you could use- otherwise if you are in Sai Kung I know a pro who has a darkroom with all the gear.

Quote Originally Posted by dropdedfwed:
    ignore the modes below the green square, only use the modes P, Tv Av or M. then you will learn what each thing does.
    I jsut got a digital slr camera. and boy do I fail to take any thing usefull.
    Anyway, I'm not giving up easy - but could someone please tell me what
    the P (photography) mode really does in comparisson to the A (Aperture priority) and S (shutter priority).

many many many thanks.
    HK is really a nice place to take photos. so many contrasts :-)

You should have got a manual with your camera which outlines the functions in the 'creative zone' such as AV, TV etc. 'P' is point-and-shoot mode I think.
    IOf you don't have the manual you will find it on some of the websites listed- probably in more detail too.

Quote Originally Posted by zatoichi:
    I jsut got a digital slr camera. and boy do I fail to take any thing usefull.
    Anyway, I'm not giving up easy - but could someone please tell me what
    the P (photography) mode really does in comparisson to the A (Aperture priority) and S (shutter priority).

many many many thanks.
    HK is really a nice place to take photos. so many contrasts :-)
    P is basically auto mode, but you can over-ride flash (if u pop it up, the camera will use it, if u put it down, the camera will adjust settings to do without) and you can select iso rating etc.

T = time value - you select the desired exposure time, the camera will set the aperture to make sure the exposure is good (if it is possible). This is the same as "S" or shutter priority

A = aperture value - you set the aperture, the camera will set the correct exposure time for that shot.

i normally use P, cos i like to select my desired iso, use flash etc as i want. if i want good landscape shots i use A, and set the aperture to 11 or more (better depth of field).

but if you want fool proof aim and shoot, just select the green square or any of the icons (potrait, landscape, action, night etc). the camera will adjust iso and exposure perameters, depending on available light and the icon you selected...
    Last edited by dropdedfwed; 18-01-2006 at 01:37 PM.

Lammarite, my bathroom has some weird windows and I need to get a big piece of wood to ensure the lightproof. Maybe I'll look for a medium format chamber.. Sai Kung is a little bit far for the amount of films I need to process.

Badzoo, I think there are still a couple of good places on Stanley Street where you can have 'non-regular' films developed properly. Colour 6 may still do it. I'm thinking of dusting off the EOS5 and the Pelix QL and reverting back to some film- digital has softened the edges a bit- so it would be interesting to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammarite:
    Badzoo, I think there are still a couple of good places on Stanley Street where you can have 'non-regular' films developed properly. Colour 6 may still do it. I'm thinking of dusting off the EOS5 and the Pelix QL and reverting back to some film- digital has softened the edges a bit- so it would be interesting to know.
    dont they make light proof bath things for developing film? little cannisters that u can fill with developer for a period of time, then empty, fill with fixer, then wash? not sure, but i'm sure i saw some gadget like that years ago. you'd still need a dark room to enlarge though. there was a thread on here recently - do a search on "communal darkrooms" - i think that was the title of the thread. one GeoExpatter managed to source a dark room that was available to the public, from memory.

just did the search for you (cos i'm lovely )

check:

http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/showth...light=darkroom

http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=885
    Last edited by dropdedfwed; 18-01-2006 at 07:41 PM. Reason: found the links :)

Thanks dropdedfwed I am going to have a look on the thread, I already have the tank for processing the film, I just lack of a dark room. But if I can have access to a real dark room why not ?

Lammarite, I want to process it myself, just that it's an WB film, and it's quite easy.