Basic photography tips,where to find?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Basic photography tips,where to find?

Hello!
    Good morning!

Can someone help me with finding basic tips on digital SLR photography?

Aspects such as importance and use of aperture and shutter speeds and how to use manual focus and all other basics...for an absolute starter!!
    Any site where there are pictorial examples??

Thanks in advance!

Thanks lammarite...
    checked dp review...but cant see anything informative for beginners...or maybe i am not looking at the right place within the website..
    will check again!!

Hi Oormila,

Maybe you should go and check Page one at Times Square (or another one), they have quite a good selection of books about Digital and film photography, and that could be very helpful for you to learn how to use your new SLR camera.

Thanks so much Christophe...
    I should do that this weekend!
    Have never been to that area before...maybe i'll ask u about that as well over the week sometime..thanks!

Arrr, yes, dpreview is more of an FYI as opposed to a learning tool.

I should also have mentioned that if you go to on-the.net you have to go into the forum section to see all the good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by oormila:
    Hello!
    Good morning!

Can someone help me with finding basic tips on digital SLR photography?

Aspects such as importance and use of aperture and shutter speeds and how to use manual focus and all other basics...for an absolute starter!!
    Any site where there are pictorial examples??

Thanks in advance!
    exactly what iam after too but in the form of classes or some1 who actually willing to teach me the how-to

which camera and what lens do you use?

Hi Pondok...
    I wish we could find someone and i dont mind taking lessons together!

As for me..I have a konica minolta Dynax 5D with a 18-70 mm lens currently but am getting my 28-210 mm lens soon...in april actually!!

nd lammarite...I shall look into the forums as suggested by u..thanks

I've come across this cook suggested by a few sites... "digital photographers handbook by tom ang"..
    does anyone have inputs in here?? if so,is it good for a beginner too??

photo manuals

a few good authors to look for are john freeman and john hedgecoe. they both have written some good reliable manuals/guides. i'm sure i have seen some of their titles in HK.

their books are basic, but give you the fundementals. dont expect to get a book that tells you everything. borrow/buy a range of them.

most of all - get a diary/note book. keep note of what you do. then when u print/downoad the pics, check to see what happened. much easier these days with digital.

most of all - go burn some film.... ummm (gets with the times) go shoot some stuff you can read/listen to advice till you go bananas, but you won't learn till you try it out. play with the exposure vs aperture settings. see how it effects the shot. ignore the modes below the green square, only use the modes P, Tv Av or M. then you will learn what each thing does.

gone are the days when we used to guess an exposure because the light meter was too slow (no, i don't begrudge technology - i embrace it, but i also know i don't "know" my camers like i used to, and i dont predict light like i used to as a teenage wannabe fotomaniac). these days the digital toys are so quick, so forgiving. aim - shoot - success. wow!

most of all, get outside. take some pics. use your toy till you know it

Last edited by dropdedfwed; 17-01-2006 at 05:24 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast