Like Tree1Likes

110 to 220V

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs
    Almost everything we buy these days in HKG comes in dual voltage.

Isnt it the same elsewhere around the world? Do other countries still sell things in single voltage ? Japan I would have thought would also sell dual voltage.

In the olden days, the converters used to be expensive so manufacturers used to just produce single voltage but with parts being so cheap these days I would have thought that most everything comes in dual...

HC
    For companies every penny counts, so for big markets like the US they still manufacture mostly 110V-only equipment, and in Europe it's 220-240V because hardly anyone over there uses 110V. It's different for portable/travel equipment of course.

Quote Originally Posted by virago
    Huh! I bought $8 converters for 240V power supply that i used in Australia and China. In TST and central you can buy them for $30!

They work fine, no electrical fires yet.

Don't know about Japan though.

You have bought simple plug adaptors, not voltage converters. China and Australia run on the same voltage- you might want to check these things if you ever plan a trip to the US or Japan.

As far as I know, plugging in simple 220-240V stuff like kettles or hair driers into 110V results in the device working in a half-assed fashion. I have no idea what happens if you plug 220-240 electronics (TVs) into 110V though.

And if you plug 110V devices into 220-240V, you can expect the device to fry almost instantly.

Find someone who is moving from HK to Japan ?

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    You have bought simple plug adaptors, not voltage converters. China and Australia run on the same voltage- you might want to check these things if you ever plan a trip to the US or Japan.

As far as I know, plugging in simple 220-240V stuff like kettles or hair driers into 110V results in the device working in a half-assed fashion. I have no idea what happens if you plug 220-240 electronics (TVs) into 110V though.

And if you plug 110V devices into 220-240V, you can expect the device to fry almost instantly.
    It blows up with a loud bang and fills the room with a strong smell of electrical fire rather than frying..

As I found out when I plugged a brand new Panasonic rice cooker into a travel plug and stuck it into the mains at my Mum & Dad's back at Christmas. At least it made my Dad laugh (not a great rice fan at the best of times) which was worth the 70 quid in itself.
    Last edited by Makkun70; 22-04-2010 at 02:34 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2