Like Tree1Likes

110 to 220V

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

110 to 220V

The pain of moving to HK from Japan!

I'm going to need all new stuff aren't I?

Please say 'no'

Possibly. It depends.

what you need is a step down 220 to 110 converter, they sell those at all your basic hardware stores that sells a screwdriver

They cost around 50-70$ each.

The cost varies enormously depending on the power rating required. If you want to run hair dryers, vacuum cleaners or similar then it will be more than that. But I'd recommend dumping high power stuff and getting new ones here.

Almost everything we buy these days in HKG comes in dual voltage.

Isnt it the same elsewhere around the world? Do other countries still sell things in single voltage ? Japan I would have thought would also sell dual voltage.

In the olden days, the converters used to be expensive so manufacturers used to just produce single voltage but with parts being so cheap these days I would have thought that most everything comes in dual...

HC

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs
    Almost everything we buy these days in HKG comes in dual voltage.

Isnt it the same elsewhere around the world? Do other countries still sell things in single voltage ? Japan I would have thought would also sell dual voltage.

In the olden days, the converters used to be expensive so manufacturers used to just produce single voltage but with parts being so cheap these days I would have thought that most everything comes in dual...

HC
    All the usual homeware stuff is usually single volatage- hair driers, microwave ovens, heaters, irons, high end stereo gear. It's only the low power, relatively portable consumer electronic stuff that's likley to be dual voltage because, well, it's portable and low power.

Transforming for something that is high wattage is going to take some pricey and heavy components. A hair drier is typically, what, around 1000W? A step down transformer rated for 1000W is going to weigh > 5kg and cost about a grand. Compare that to stuff that typically is dual voltage- a laptop power supply would only use about 60W. Or phone charger which'd rated for maybe 5W.

Disclaimer- I don't have an electrical background. The above is based on 'common sense' and a high school physics formula
    Last edited by jgl; 08-04-2010 at 03:31 PM.
    HowardCoombs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by justsomebody2
    what you need is a step down 220 to 110 converter, they sell those at all your basic hardware stores that sells a screwdriver

They cost around 50-70$ each.
    Huh! I bought $8 converters for 240V power supply that i used in Australia and China. In TST and central you can buy them for $30!

They work fine, no electrical fires yet.

Don't know about Japan though.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    I bought $8 converters for 240V power supply that i used in Australia and China. In TST and central you can buy them for $30!
    You probably bought adaptors for different electrical sockets, not convertors which convert the voltage.

is it true that a 110v laser printer can't be used with a step up transformer?

If the laser printer expects 110V then you would need a step down transformer not a step up to use it in HK.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast