Dell computers or others

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by TaLL|dUdE:
    the battery life for my previous pbook 15" / 17" is on par with my MBP 15" right now... so i don't think battery life is a big issue

oh and dell's aren't all that either. we've had shipments of new machines that are broken right out of the box. lol!
    (e.g. LCD's don't work)
    I'd never buy an LCD without checking for dead pixels first. (unless the company had a zero dead pixel policy)...

PS. LCDs are nicer quality and about $200-$300hkd cheaper per LCD if you go to Wanchai Computer center to buy them.

Not sure who you would recommend instead of Dell. On a return on dollar basis for a company/person on a budget, its pretty good. Just don't think you will be getting top grade stuff. Its definately better than getting a random local to hammer something together a crappy computer for a similara price...

>> If you want a quality computer that lasts 7-8 years I can't imagine where you will go.

Still using an 8 year old Dell with Windows 2000 for email and dvds.

Still using a 5 year old Sony Vaio.

My problem is not with the system. When critical components like hard disks (on the desktops) and displays (on the laptop) go balls up ... I get pretty pissed off.

I'll stick to Sony's Dekstops and Toshiba Laptops .. thats where my comfort zone is right now ..

Quote Originally Posted by Rawbanana:
    I'd never buy an LCD without checking for dead pixels first. (unless the company had a zero dead pixel policy)...

PS. LCDs are nicer quality and about $200-$300hkd cheaper per LCD if you go to Wanchai Computer center to buy them.

Not sure who you would recommend instead of Dell. On a return on dollar basis for a company/person on a budget, its pretty good. Just don't think you will be getting top grade stuff. Its definately better than getting a random local to hammer something together a crappy computer for a similara price...
    i don't mean LCD Monitors, I meant LCD Screens for Laptops. also, it's shipped from China to our company. You can't exactly check the LCD screen upon purchase for corporate accounts.

their QC inspectors should have done that. :P

on another note, afaik, samsung has a 0 dead pixel policy for their lcd monitors, haven't heard of other companies who have followed suit just yet.

on another note, afaik, samsung has a 0 dead pixel policy for their lcd monitors, haven't heard of other companies who have followed suit just yet.
    That's interesting as Dell use Samsung for a lot of their monitors but have a 5 dead pixel policy.

I has some bad experience with dell technical service in the last several weeks. Now I wouldn't recommend Dell. I bought a Dell Dimension in last September, and it came with a one-year second-day on-site warranty.

Recently my computer began to have the irritating noises, so I called the Dell tech service on a Thursday. And they arranged an engineer to come to check it on next Monday. While it's not second-day per se, I was just glad that they would come fix it.

So after the long weekend, and finally the engineer came. However, he replaced the CPU fan and the PC power. However, the noise was still there, and the engineer just couldn't find the reason. He finally told me that he had to go to make for the next appointment, and he would inform of Dell to arrange another engineer to fix the machine. So he left.

Then I wait and wait, until 3 weeks passed, and not a single man or woman from Dell contact me to ask about my machine. Finally I couldn't wait any longer and called Dell again this Monday. I was very pissed off because they couldn't give me any expanation why no one takes care of my machine. The guy promised me that they will check what's wrong and call me in the same day. Well, now it's early morning in Thursday, still no one called.

This experience is just bad, and now I don't what to do with them.

No one or company is perfect. But I'd be interested to hear if anyone has found a better computer company in HK. My experience with local companies is even worse...