Like Tree1Likes

Use own my own router instead of Netvigator modem/router

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Any idea how much the router will cost? Thanks

A basic wireless router would be about $300.

^^ any recommedations that are $100-200? I just wanna increase my wireless coverage, the PCCW one cant even reach my bathroom or bedrooms!

Quote Originally Posted by cooldudie3:
    ^^ any recommedations that are $100-200? I just wanna increase my wireless coverage, the PCCW one cant even reach my bathroom or bedrooms!

You generally get what you pay for with most consumer electronics. If you want something that cheap, your best bet is to wander around SSP computer centre and ask. My guess is you will be told a flat "no". Though some sub-300 devices are listed under the wifi section of http://www.jumbo-computer.com/pricelist.asp

If you want to budget that much for a wifi device, then you could try pick something up secondhand.

But from your first post, you're not a techie. It really isn't a good idea to skimp that badly on gear if you don't really understand it that well in the first place.

If you're not a techie, get something vaguely reputable. A Linksys/Netgear/Dlink.

It doesn't have to have a N network...

I ended up buying a Belkin N150 from Wanchai Computer Center.
    I set it up and stuff, but the network is extremely slow. I think it is because both the Netvigator Modem/router and the Belkin one is fighting for bandwidth. Is there any way to switch off the wifi on the Netvigator machine?

I set it up and stuff, but the network is extremely slow. I think it is because both the Netvigator Modem/router and the Belkin one is fighting for bandwidth. Is there any way to switch off the wifi on the Netvigator machine?
    I see my post got lots of attention for my overkill suggestions. Yes maybe overkill, in my work life I see these low end routers are cheap to buy but expensive to run. More often than not just experience a crappy service which you blame on the ISP when in fact it is your router. Don't deliver the bandwidth due to CPU/ram issues particularly with bittorrent or heavy loads, or have to spend far more than the cost of an ASA to debug and fix.

The Cisco ASA comes with many features for the price, many which people may not need. In terms of value for money price, it still a better choice than many full feature routers that Cisco and Juniper supply and is physically small.

Mr Moo, DSL routers have a DSL modem built in hence their name. You cant plug a DSL router to a DSL modem as there is one modem too many in the equation.
    Last edited by Fenix2; 17-05-2010 at 10:14 AM.

I think you're misunderstanding how your network is configured.

The PCCW device is what connects your home to the internet.

The Belkin is what shares any home computers with the PCCW device.

It's kind of like this:

Internet -> PCCW device -> Belkin -> home computers (single or multiple)

So the PCCW device and the Belkin can't be 'fighting' for bandwidth because the perform different functions and work inline with each other. If your net connection is slow, then you need to be much more specific with the information you are providing. What do you mean by 'slow'?

It takes a long time to load internet pages? What pages?
    Your bittorrent/P2P throughput is very low?
    Your youtube videos take a long time to load?
    You are getting timeouts on your web browser?

Go to speedtest.net and run a test to a local HK server. That'll give you a more concrete answer on how 'fast' your internet connection is. 'Slowness' could be caused by anything included uncontrollable factors on the net, your Belkin being misconfigured, or a problem with the ISP.
    Last edited by jgl; 17-05-2010 at 11:01 AM.

I am using the Modem and Router device from PCCW and my Belkin. After I setup my Belkin's network, the PCCW's device was still transmitting my old device's wifi.
    I went into my routers settings(this weird website) and changed the network to only broadcast wireless g and not mixed wireless g/n. That really improved the speed.
    But now I have another problem. After I close my Macbook's lid, the modem light on the Belkin starts flashing red and I cannot connect any other devices to my Belkin. But after I open my Macbooks lid, the Belkin starts work properly again. This is pretty annoying since I don't keep my laptop turned on all the time.

I am using the Modem and Router device from PCCW and my Belkin. After I setup my Belkin's network, the PCCW's device was still transmitting my old device's wifi.
    I went into my routers settings(this weird website) and changed the network to only broadcast wireless g and not mixed wireless g/n. That really improved the speed.
    Uh, was this in response to my post #19?