LCD TV - name brand vs no-name brand

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My 2 pennies worth: I recently bought a Samsung plasma and I am chuffed to bits with it. What I did notice was that these large flatscreens appeared to be significantly cheaper in the UK and the US. Given you would also save a further 17.5% VAT if you bought from the UK it was working out nearly half price from the prices I was getting in HK (1200 vs 2000)

I did email a couple of UK suppliers to see if they would ship to HK but I was too excited about getting a nice telly that I couldn't be bothered to wait for a reply and also I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of shipping etc and rushed out to buy one and forgot all about it.

Given electronics is generally cheaper in HK than UK, especially with the current exchange rate, anyone know why there is such a disparity of price in the UK's favour? My guess is something to do with the large size of these items.

i just went to broadway...and REALLY want the new Philips 37" LCD with 3 sides ambient, Pixel 3 HD, Clear Pixel, and some other junk

problem is...its 22K. anyone have a good recommendation for a great TV for a size of 37" and price of low teens?

also...is the philips pixel 3 HD that much better than the pixel 2 HD? cause there is a 37" LCD Philips with Pixel 2 HD and 2 sides ambiient for 18K....is it worth the newer technology for an extra 5K?

matt : we have the one that you mentioned for 18K... pretty happy about it.

Quote Originally Posted by HKNewBi
    Given electronics is generally cheaper in HK than UK, especially with the current exchange rate, anyone know why there is such a disparity of price in the UK's favour? My guess is something to do with the large size of these items.
    The reason there are currently big discounts in the UK on LCD and Plasma is that many shops are getting rid of their non HD TV's. Sky started broadcasting HD TV earlier this year and as a result there is an increasing demand for HDTV.

Note the difference between HD and HD ready. HD ready can interpret the HD signals, so you get a picture, but it won't be in the HD format. Whereas HD TVs will obviously be able to show the picture in its intended HD format.

If you are not bothered about HD TV (I assume they broadcast it here in HK, I don't know?) then the bargains to be had in the UK are worthwhile.

About levia they are quiet good but from what i hear the rmote isnt the best and seem to cause alot of anger for alot of people since they have to press the buttons 10-20 times in various angles before it will change the channel :P

i'm using olevia and its ok.
    i think the problem is not with the remote. its the system.
    when u first on the tv it has a window of 10s for u to quickly use the remote. then it goes into a self resetting mode adn during that time it refuses to take in remote commands. after that it goes back normal.
    anyone wld try to press the remote over the lock out period and finds it non-responsive. i was trying to figure out why but now i have no problem using it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2