Web Hosting - Any Recommendations?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Web Hosting - Any Recommendations?

Does anyone have recommendations on good web hosting services?
    I've looked at Yahoo, but they're a little pricey ($11.95US/month). Also, saw 1&1 recommended on earlier Geoexpat posts, but they only allow US/Canada residents to register these days. Any good recommendations?

I would recommend A2hosting.com in the US or monsterhosting,ca in Canada, both of which have excellent service and both of which will happily do business with you. I have multiple commercial sites hosted at both of these and have no problems recommending them.

I have never come across a Hong Kong hosting company that I trust and I have tried a few believe me.

It totally depends on your requirements.

It is a bit like saying 'I am thinking of buying a car. How much are they?'

What are you looking to host? Do you own the domain name or need that registered. Are you looking to handle email traffic?

Is it a static brouchure website or does it sit on top of a database?

How much traffic (in terms of users per hour and / or bandwidth) are you anticipating?

How important is reliability? If the site was down for an hour, say, how much would this cost you in lost revenue? The answer varies very much from person to person.

You quote $11.95 a month as expensive, but obviously someone like Amazon.com would spend vastly more than this, but their requirements are most likely not yours.

I think that ICDSoft does a great job for personal and small business websites. They have servers in Hong Kong and the US, good customer service, inexpesive, good management tools, etc. I host my website there (www.tspadventures.com) and server friends of mine use it for their business.

>> I have never come across a Hong Kong hosting company that I trust and I have tried a few believe me.

I recall notes from you saying that you trusted that outfit based on Lamma.

Thanks for the replies! I am looking for something pretty basic.
    Basically we're starting up a local non-profit club. We just need a website to promote the club/details, have e-mails and post a few pictures. That's it. I thought 1&1 deal at $5/mo was just what I needed, but they won't do non-US. I will look into the other recommendations.

hi...

try dreamhost.com .... you can get $97 knocked off first years hosting... with a free domain... discounted costs per year is $22 approx... not bad for what they offer

One other thing...

...to add to what NIna posted is that it would be great to have something that is easy to set up.

With the services listed above, do you need to know dreamweaver to know how to set the site up?

Thanks!

Miranda

I have several websites, both business and personal, hosted by www.toughdomains.com. They are based on Lamma but use a server in the U.S.
    The best thing about them (apart from their server quality) is their customer service which is in English or Chinese. Their control panels for adding emails etc is foolproof.

Well spotted Mr. KIA. I like them personally but they were attacked twice successfully by a hacker (defacing all of our customers and our sites) and I while I wish them no ill, and they have been very helpful to me on many things, I cannot recommend them in good concience based on experience. What I won't do is name the company to cause it any harm.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast