Gaming Laptop - please help!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it. I play GTA San Andreas on it and it's screaming fast

Does anyone here play graphics-intensive games? No offense Jay, but San Andreas would probably be something quite minor compared to the heavy gaming I'd partake (i.e. Elder Scrolls Oblivion).

If anyone does play games like Half-Life 2 or World of WarCraft (or is an expert in these matters) I need to know what graphics card is better. I'm currently deciding between:

nVidia GeForce Go 7300 (in the Toshiba A100)
    nVidia GeForce Go 7400 (in the Sony Vaio SZ13)
    nVdia GeForce Go 6600 (in the Toshiba Tecra M4)
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 (in the Dell Inspiron 9400)

Any advice would really help. Thanks!

deleteduser

Out of all those, the only one I would really count on for moderately heavy gaming is the 6600. The 7xxx series are newer, but the x3xx and x4xx have lower clock speeds, less pipelines, etc. I don't have the exact figures, but you could look it up and see how they all compare.

heh, I just got back into gaming after several years away from it. Well, I did have a PS2, but my computer couldn't handle any serious games. I might have to look into Elder Scrolls Oblivion..the games nowadays are just incredible

Have you guys seen the P105-S921 from Toshiba?

Why even bother to buy a gameing laptop?
    God for lan, but from my own experience its wasted money, i could have gotten much more power for the money i put on mine if i had bought a stationary instead. Besides They are not mobile and you dont wanna carry a hog like that around much longer than you would a stationary.
    What else, well there is the upgrade (im)possibility, 2nd hand value = nil, A hefty price tag compared to what you get, not fullsize keyboards and they often have annoyoing layouts of arrowkeys, del, enter, backspace and so on, cables tend to tangle up more visable and annoying than on a stationary.
    ...Nah forgett the gameing notebook if you ask me and geat a decent stationary instead.

I woulda said the same thing till I got this laptop 6 external USB ports, just under 8 lbs (not too bad, I carry it around all the time now) and 2.0 core duo processor...nice and fast and powerful

Quote Originally Posted by strange_man:
    Does anyone here play graphics-intensive games? No offense Jay, but San Andreas would probably be something quite minor compared to the heavy gaming I'd partake (i.e. Elder Scrolls Oblivion).

If anyone does play games like Half-Life 2 or World of WarCraft (or is an expert in these matters) I need to know what graphics card is better. I'm currently deciding between:

nVidia GeForce Go 7300 (in the Toshiba A100)
    nVidia GeForce Go 7400 (in the Sony Vaio SZ13)
    nVdia GeForce Go 6600 (in the Toshiba Tecra M4)
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 (in the Dell Inspiron 9400)

Any advice would really help. Thanks!
    hi strange man. i've got an m40 with Go6600. 'been playing warcraft dota, battle for middleearth, and f.e.a.r. with no problems....(f.e.a.r. at mid settings)

Thanks for all the help!

JohanSWE, you make a valid point. However, I'll need a laptop because I'm going to uni, so I'll use it for lectures to make notes. Interestingly enough, though, I can get a blazingly fast desktop for 14,000 with all the latest specs -_-

I have more or less come down to these two laptops:

Toshiba Tecra M4
    Intel Pentium M 760 (2.03 GHz)
    1 GB DDR2 RAM
    60 GB SATA HDD
    14'' SXGA LCD monitor
    NVIDIA GeForce Go 6600 with 128 MB VRAM
    Price: unknown (but I have been assured it doesnt exceed 14,000)

Dell Inspiron 9400
    Intel Core Duo Processor T2400 (1.86 GHz)
    1 GB DDR2 RAM
    100 HB SATA HDD
    17'' XGA+ TFT monitor
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1400
    Price: $12,300 approximately

Any help would really be appreciated!

I would buy a lesser notebook then for taking notes and sufring, like a Stamp for about 5000, and spend the remaining 9000 on a stationary.
    I bought my stationary for roughly 7000 complete with a 19" widescreen monitor.
    Complete specs are:
    Viewsonic VA1912w mon
    ATI radeon X800GTO 256mb GDDR3 Dual DVI/ tvout PCI-E
    1gb DDR400 dual Corsair
    80gbsata 7200
    Asus A8N5X (no SLI)
    AMD64 3200+
    Delux case
    2theMAX 480w psu
    Nec 16x dvd-r/rw
    istar 21 in 1 cardreader

Great preformance for the money, i havent even unlocked the 4 pipelines on the gcard, but shit i can play COD2 in 1440x900 with max on everything without even a hint of laggy frame rates.
    I played FEAR with max everything also, ran as smooth as a silk but at a lower resolution.

So whats your choise? hog of a laptop to carry around everyday just so you can play games at it at night. or a slim light one, and an upgradabel game system waiting at home with a real game friendly mon

Last edited by JohanSWE; 02-04-2006 at 07:58 PM.