Boot Camp: Let Mac's run Windows.... Officially

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Apple are not in the business to appease Windows users rather they brought out Boot Camp beta now to pull in revenue that would otherwise be lost to hack methods. What they are also achieving is keeping their user base from moving away from their hardware. A reboot under OS X is much faster than a reboot under Windows XP. I don't see Mr Cooper's point of view. I do see Apple winning out of this. Boot Camp will not remove OS X from the Mac rather it will add XP to it and you will always have OS X as the default boot OS.
    Emulation software has been around a long time and serves as much use as a screen saver. It's fun when you first use it (seeing Windows running in a window on the OS X desktop) but becomes a chore quite quickly.

i agree with you discobay. this guy doesn't know what he's talking about. playing games under virtualization? duh! like that's going to be any fun. this sure saves money for the user coz he no longer needs to buy two machines or lug around two machines for that matter.

he totally misses the point... and this is just a preview of things to come in leoopard.... it's not even gone gold yet.

Yes and I think I've convinced myself that Mac Mini Intel is my next purchase but I am about to shell out huge wads on a summer holiday so I may have to hold off for now.

there's also a new virtualisation program that is supposed to be very fast:
    http://www.wired.com/news/technology...0,70604-0.html
    http://www.parallels.com/

Thanks for the link. Looks promising and better than emulation. Cheap too at USD50.

i'm trying a trial version now. installing win2k and xp later on. seems quite fast. much better than what MS Virtual PC ever was.

I have an original XP disc which I don't think has SP2 so that will mean I need to buy a full version of XP with SP2 to effectively use Boot Camp. Virtualisation sounds like the way to go then if you can install 2K then upgrade.

no all you need to do is what's called slipstreaming. basically you import sp2 into your orig xp cd and turn it into sp2. and reburn it into a new cd.

go here for more info

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...slipstream.asp

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK
    Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong
    Remember 5 1/4" disks guys?
    Yeah, but it was the 8 " diskettes which were truly 'floppy'!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast