Like Tree4Likes

Best place to buy Nikon DSLR in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best place to buy Nikon DSLR in HK?

Hi,
    First of all I would like to let you know all that I came across many threads related to best shops to buy cameras in HK, but most of them were pretty old.
    So, I would like t know if things have changed in HK over the last 1 year or so.
    Are the prices in shops like Fortress, Broadway and Citicall comparable to those in mong kok (like wing shin)?
    I am planning to buy Nikon D90, so please suggest the best place to buy it (with 18-105mm lens). I guess no shop will give international warranty, so atleast local warranty?

Both Wing Shin and Tin Cheung sell goods with full international warranty, and for higher end products they are usually the cheapest options in HK. You can bargain a little bit if all you want is the kit, I find stores like Fortress and Broadway will simply change the number and/or quality of trinkets that they add on to the deal if you try to bargain with them.

dot.zen

tarzan007 and iamasmallgaint like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dot.zen:
    Both Wing Shin and Tin Cheung sell goods with full international warranty, and for higher end products they are usually the cheapest options in HK.
    Nikon does not give international warranty on bodies, so I doubt Wing Shing will do so somehow. The lenses do come with international warranty however.

I bought a D90 with the 18-105 kit lens when it came out at Broadway, Wing Shing wasn't cheaper and while Broadway didn't give any discount either they threw in lot's of accessories for free (that I asked for).

You can bargain a little bit if all you want is the kit, I find stores like Fortress and Broadway will simply change the number and/or quality of trinkets that they add on to the deal if you try to bargain with them.
    Which may work out quite well for some.

Bottom line: if you know what you want (that should include any accessories like bag, filter, spare battery etc.) you have to check each shop and see which one offers the better price for the package, I don't think there is a general rule as to which shop is always the best.
    Last edited by Raccon; 30-05-2010 at 09:07 PM.
    tarzan007 likes this.

these prices are cut and paste from Billy's website:

Welcome to YG Billy's World of Photography

Nikon D90 (Body) Digital SLR $6,680 20/3/2010 Mongkok Chung Yuen

Nikon D90 (Kit Set) Digital SLR $8,000 14/4/2010 Causeway Bay Windsor Hse

also, if you go into tin cheung the shop prices are generally a lot better than the web prices

don't get sucked into the free goodies as a bargaining point, unless you know you will use them or you know someone else who will. generally crappy carry cases, slow memory cards or flimsy-floppy tripods are just more landfill.

tarzan007 likes this.

A quick update: I had been to the Plaza today and checked the prices at different (larger chain) stores like Fortress, Broadway, Citicall etc and I found that Sunlite (a small shop next to Fortress) offered the best price ($7800)

But Citicall offered International warranty for $8000.

I am yet to check out Wing Shin and Tin Cheung and even Windsor House. I will update soon, till then other recommendations are most welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by tarzan007:
    A quick update: I had been to the Plaza today and checked the prices at different (larger chain) stores like Fortress, Broadway, Citicall etc and I found that Sunlite (a small shop next to Fortress) offered the best price ($7800)

But Citicall offered International warranty for $8000.
    Let me say this again: Nikon does NOT provide international warranty for bodies. Nikon Warranty
    When you buy the camera check the warranty card, the territory where it's valid is stated on that (for a DSLR purchased here it says China, HK and Macau).

Maybe (and that's a big maybe) Citicall is offering you a dealer warranty, but I wonder how you invoke this in a country where there is no Citicall ...

隨身數碼 - 香港格價網 Price.com.hk

Sorry, the site is in Chinese, but I am sure you will find you way.

I looked in a bunch of places in Mong Kok and the prices really were not much better than Fortress.

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:
    Let me say this again: Nikon does NOT provide international warranty for bodies. Nikon Warranty
    When you buy the camera check the warranty card, the territory where it's valid is stated on that (for a DSLR purchased here it says China, HK and Macau).

Maybe (and that's a big maybe) Citicall is offering you a dealer warranty, but I wonder how you invoke this in a country where there is no Citicall ...
    You were spot on. I called up the guys at Citicall and asked them to recheck the warranty and he confirmed that the international warranty is for lens alone and not for body

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth:
    I looked in a bunch of places in Mong Kok and the prices really were not much better than Fortress.
    I actually tried calling up few shops like Man shing and Wing Shing to know the price, but they insisted on visiting their shops and didn't divulge the price on phone.
    I guess I might buy the camera in one of these bigger shops itself.

Quote Originally Posted by tarzan007:
    Hi,
    First of all I would like to let you know all that I came across many threads related to best shops to buy cameras in HK, but most of them were pretty old.
    So, I would like t know if things have changed in HK over the last 1 year or so.
    Are the prices in shops like Fortress, Broadway and Citicall comparable to those in mong kok (like wing shin)?
    I am planning to buy Nikon D90, so please suggest the best place to buy it (with 18-105mm lens). I guess no shop will give international warranty, so atleast local warranty?
    You can call Tony of the New Sankyo Camera Co. Ltd. in Mody Road (outside the Holiday Inn in TST) He would give you the price over the phone. I am his customer since over 20 years and never has a camera been more than 50HK$ over the cheapest (I don't mean shill quotes of the rip off shops) quote. Fortress is more expensive. You will have to mention if you want warranty or not (International could be availabe, need to ask), since grey imports are often cheaper but come without. He carries both. Tel. 2367 0350

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast