BitTorrent Error

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

BitTorrent Error

Am trying to download a Linux distribution using BT and am failing with the error "Couldn't listen - unable to forward port via UPnP". Out of curiosity I tried other files (movies etc) and they all fail the same way. I used to be able to download this way and now I can't. Coincidentally, I have just given PCCW (netvigator) one month's notice as I will be switching so maybe they have done this?

use bitcomet instead. bittorrent is blocked on netvigator..

Jay .. nonsense, sorry to have to come out so strong, but yes, that is nonsense. We use bittorrent daily to get all the TV shows.

discobay: UPNP is a local issue between your computer and your router. Essentially your computer is telling the router to open a port and the router is rejecting the request. You might want to check if a router setting or a local firewall setting is preventing UPNP from working.

http://www.expansys.com.au/forumthre...LUS&thread=827

A semi intelligent discussion with more info.

Many routers have to have the ports that bittorrent uses opened specifically. You'll need to go into the configuration setup and enable those ports (can't remember off the top of my head, but do a google search--talked about frequently)

I have checked my router and apart from performing a hard reset I am sure that nothing has changed with its settings. I still can't download BT files using Bit Tornado. I then found that my wirelessly connected notebook running Azureus can d/l BT files. So I go install Azureus on my desktop and it runs too!
    However, there is one hitch. During the Azureus setup it wants to test the Incoming TCP listen Port of 64355 which fails with a NAT error. This was not the case with the setup on the notebook - why? So, I've enabled this port for TCP in the router admin. and the test now passes. On the notebook it wants to listen on tcp port 30027 and now I've enabled that on the router too.
    Why did Bit Tornado suddenly stop working?
    Why the different port numbers on desktop and notebook?
    Is it absolutely necessary to enable these ports as I seemed to be d/l fine before I enabled them?

Last edited by discobay; 06-05-2006 at 11:54 PM.

oops guess i just assumed it was netvigator's fault. lol. i've been using bitcomet for a while now and i'm pretty happy with it...i haven't tried using bittorrent since i first moved back to hk and signed up for this account...

Does bitcomet have a pause and resume feature?

DB...yes it does!

DB - I used BitTornado for a while but have recently switched all my machines to Azureus - prefer the flexibility of the options it gives.

I occasionally get UPNP errors and problems connecting to trackers. Some things to consider that might have influenced this:

1. Do you use DHCP for IP allocation? If so, do you manually specify the IPs for some/ all of the computers in your apartment - by registering a fixed IP for their MAC addresses. If not, you may find that when the DHCP lease expires (or when you reboot the router), a computer gets a different IP that is not matched to the correct rule for port forwarding.

2. In the Advanced section of BitTornado, did you have a range of Ports specified (e.g. 6881 - 6889). I think BitTornado uses a new port for each torrent that you open - so if you have 2 or more on the go at the same time you may exceed the range set in your router. Azureus only uses one port so it is simpler to configure your router.

3. Do you add the port forwarding rules in pairs (i.e. for TCP and UDP protocols)? I think you need both.

4. My Asus router recently got fussy (must have been a firmware patch but I'm not convinced) about accepting the same port forwarding rule for UDP and TCP for a given IP - I now have to specify slightly different, but overlapping ranges e.g:

6880:6889 -> local IP for TCP
    6879:6890 -> local IP for UDP

5. Finally, I've come across some trackers that won't accept common BT port ranges (e.g. 6881 - 6889). Worth reading the FAQ on a given torrent site to see if they exclude a specific range.

HTH
    Phil

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast