Like Tree5Likes

Daughter's computer has packed in - where should I buy a new one?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I know the price will be a little cheaper in Sum Siu Po or in MK. WanChi is a little more expensive. Mainly because of their rent on HK island. You can get all the same stuff. Actually the no name brand, that you build from parts, are not that bad either. We bought some of the computers in the MK location for the office. It's been working fine for over 2 years already. It only cost us about 500

Having built a large number of computers, my most recent purchases have been from Dell and Acer. Even before counting my time, the wonders of globalization and Dell's insane supply chain management mean that I haven't found a way to buy components and a legal copy of Windows for HKD 3000/USD 400 (Dell's cheapest computer, which will run most things just fine).

Unless you have very, very specific requirements for the hardware in your computer (eg you want an overclockable Gigabyte motherboard), I'd save yourself a lot of trouble and buy a Dell.

Sure, Dell's service might not be great, but if you have any real unsolvable issues, an email/fax to the CEO's office will get you speedy, personalized service. Try that with a shop in Wan Chai!

HKNewBi likes this.

As I understand it you want a cheap and cheerful desktop for your daughter so she can basically surf the internet.

Have you thought about getting it second hand through one of the classified services?