Like Tree1Likes

How to configure PC for new Hard Disk

Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,223
    Quote Originally Posted by willho
    the OP mentioned - it is an OLD computer running on a P3 500MHz, as with most modern software the OLD computer will struggle:
    1. to run on 500MHz (as most modern CPU is running at 3GHZ),
    2. the size of the hard disk (probably small : heaving at the seams) to store data (as most modern computer has 500G),
    3. the size of the RAM (small) will be slow for memeory access (as most modern computer will have 4 GB)

    it is good to save money, but in this case the best solution is to get a new computer.

    the costs to repair the OLD computer with parts and labour is pretty close to a new computer.

    the benefits are clear.

    with a new computer; all the modern softwares are usable, the speed will be faster and the hard disk can store more data than previously, and the speed from a new computer is faster than a P3 500MHz computer.

    the hassles of more problems going out from the OLD computer: hard disk size, RAM, CPU speed are bound to come up from time to time.

    and finally, if the OP do decide to repair the OLD computer, how long can the OLD computer lasts?

    as there are more and more modern softwares on the markets, will the OLD computer still become compatible?

    the OP may replace the hard disk, but the OLD computer CPU and its motherboard is not recognising the new hard disk.

    the OP may change the BIOS setting and if it does work.....in the short term the OLD computer may pod along...but for how long?

    technology has moved on.

    as for the OS, the OLD computer being a P3, can run on windows 98 (11years ago) but only just because it is the maximum level a P3 can run up to.
    as for any OS newer(Vista, window7), the P3 will struggle to start

    just get a new computer and forget about all the problems...it is just not worth wasting time and money fixing a OLD computer.

    i hope this has help.
    That is a round-about way of saying what I did in six words earlier :-)

    I do agree entirely though.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Lantau
    Posts
    1,519

    It was running Windows XP - and coped with it perfectly fine. 90% of the usage was running google chrome - no problems. The other 10% was playing music or movies - absolutely no issue with that at all. No need for a CPU upgrade or more RAM.

    For the sake of configuring a BIOS I really cannot see any reason to chuck it out! Total cost of repair - $0.

    I got my daughter to swap the HDD's - so she is getting an education on a machine which, if broken, has no value.

    Perhaps we should think just a teeny bit before so happily stuffing our landfills.


  3. #13

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Tin Shui Wai
    Posts
    660
    Quote Originally Posted by willho

    the OP may change the BIOS setting and if it does work.....in the short term the OLD computer may pod along...but for how long?
    Probably not longer than it took to read your reply where you kept repeating the same thing over and over and over using different words for the same thing.

Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2