ISP Provider

ISP Provider

I was wondering which is the best and the most stable ISP in HK. I had PCCW before, but I wasn't too impressed. I'm using BB100 now, and teh set up kinda sucks.

PCCW, connected to the router. When I was downloading something, the other computer couldn't surf the net at all.

BB100 we have the BBTV that came with it. They have some wierd way of hooking it up. The BBTV connects to two different ports before going through my router. If the BBTV isn't on, you can't surf the net. I had to hook a switch over there to bypass the connection. So, even if the BBTV isn't on, I can still get online. And the speed isn't always consistant.

Anyone knows what is the main difference, or how tweak the network to make it a little more stable?

Quote Originally Posted by dkon2010:
    PCCW, connected to the router. When I was downloading something, the other computer couldn't surf the net at all.
    User error - you had your equipment configured wrongly.

I'm so sure about that. I changed the router to one that I know. My brother bought the one before. PCCW seemed to work ok most of the time. I've checked the settings. I was fine.

So which is the best and most stable ISP?

Sounds like config issue to me too. Probably need to enable QoS in your router setting.

Try taking out your router. If it works fine without your router on one computer, then it has nothing to do with ISP -- it is router / config issue.

I'll try the QoS then. I don't know if it's enabled. But I'll check thanks.

>> So which is the best and most stable ISP?

Seriously, for home use, I'd say PCCW. Have had 1 or 2 faults in the 8 years we've been in our current apartment and those have been rectified within 1 working day.

We have upto 8 devices simultaneously connected to the internet - iphones, laptops, desktops, game consoles, media extender and have not had any problems.

Not sure how the home HKBN works, at work we have a simple Cat 5 cable which is always on.

As much as people like to be critical of PCCW (including me, because of their stupid contracts and policies), they tend to deliver more than reasonable services at reasonable prices.

Last edited by shri; 18-06-2010 at 06:27 PM.

Thanks. I will keep that in mind. I know that HKBN is very cheap, the set up is a little wierd. One of my complaints about HKBN is that the speed drops sometimes, as in not consistant. I understand if it was the weekend or a certain time of the day, but it just don't feel consistant.

But someone told me that HKBN is supposed to be the best, but I'm not sure if my friend got it confused with PCCW or not.

Seriously, for home use, I'd say PCCW. Have had 1 or 2 faults in the 8 years we've been in our current apartment and those have been rectified within 1 working day.<<

I have to agree with you on this. I was stupid to switch to HKBN after being conned by their staff about the 100/100 bandwith globally only to find out that my old 8M PCCW line offered faster speeds to the US than the 100M HKBN.

HKBN works very similarly to PCCW but the biggest problem is low bandwith to N America. The CS usually blames it on the router, the brand of router and if that fails they claim their service is not "Made for Foreigners".