Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pin

HSBC is the No.1 enemy of ecomerce.

Closed Thread

HSBC is the No.1 enemy of ecomerce.

Most payments with my HSBC visa card fail if they involve the secured by visa process. I'm even trying to pay for Skype and it it fails my authentication. I always have to phone the service center request for authorization in advance.

If i go through sites that don't involve going to HSBC's Secured by Visa my payments work every time.

I thought this problem would have been resolved after these years but nothing seems to have changed. The fact that so many people fail the by the secured by Visa crap and so many users have HSBC cards, many commerce companies are suffering by this.

Is there anything we can do to make them clean up their act?

i use both hsbc's verified by visa & mastercard securecode payment. it works most of the time for me.

one time though, i think i entered the password wrong a number of times and it was disabled or something. i called them and they said that it should be fine after the call, it was not. then i discovered that i had to re-enable it myself while logged into my online banking account under cards

Works fine for me and I use it a lot.

fenix : we had to get our credit card processor to disable secure / 3d authentication because of a very high failure rate - and HSBC was a factor.

HSBC will not change... simply because they're so large and the market here in HK for ecommerce etc is insignificant to them, both from the cardholder demand and also the payment processing side.

We've got some thoroughly amusing responses from them when we've emailed them about credit card processing. In the UK they bend over backwards and in a few other directions to get your credit card business.

Often fails for me, then I switch to another Visa card and it goes through flawlessly. Very annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff:
    Often fails for me, then I switch to another Visa card and it goes through flawlessly. Very annoying.
    Exactly! Even worse when you have to go to someone your junior in the office and ask them to use their card because yours does not work. It doesn't inspire confidence.

Shri, obviously know you more about it than I do, but I think it is a good idea just to brand them as a big problem for the ecomercen industry in/from Hong Kong.

HSBC visa regularly failed when used to pay for Skype and Wellcome delivery.

Now use American Express and have never had a single problem.

Its also not proving popular in the UK. Luckily I hardly ever need to use my HSBC card for online payments any more.

Verified by Visa bitchslapped by Cambridge researchers • The Register

Fenix2 likes this.