Like Tree7Likes

ps3 nowtv Decoder

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

ps3 nowtv Decoder

OK I wanted to use my ps3 as a decoder it seemed bit of an epic to find out some technical information. So I thought I thought I would post the very simple information for the benefit of anyone doing the switch.

First what you will lose when switching to the ps3 decoder.
    * HBO on Demand
    * The recording function which I think is about 5 stations
    * Also the other demand features.

On the more technical side

They switch out your modem with a modem/router with a DHCP server which messes up with your existing DHCP at home. Your ps3 has to be plugged into their router and get an IP from their DHCP server. So if you have an existing computer acting as a uPNP media server for streaming videos this will cease to work while on the other internal network.

Their DHCP range 192.168.8.0/24
    My DHCP range 192.168.11.0.0/24

Well you might think why not just plug everything into their router and get the same subnet, well for one no port forwarding, they turn off the wi-fi feature from within the router so you can't use wi-fi at home. Pretty funny that they offer unlimited wi-fi with the plan with 6000 hotspots but your home is not one of them.

Not all is lost what you can do if you don't care so much for the basic limited features with in their router, it does have a DMZ, wi-fi with n, port forwarding, but you can't do remote access, vpn etc, very basic router. What you need to do to get into it and turn on the wi-fi and the other features they said you cannot have.

1. Remove the pstn line from the router so you have no internet.

2. Then plug a LAN cable from your laptop/computer to the any port on the router, open your browser up and type setup.net add the http:// if using IE. if you have internet access as this stage it will try and do a lookup on the internet, you don't want this.

3. The username and password is user/user just enter that and your away, from there the menu's are very simple set your access point name, your apn password. Port forwarding DMZ whatever you want.Then just save and exit, plug in your cable and your home is a new hot spot so you can say they now have 6001 hotspots.

Now the other option to use your existing router, this is where it become a pain because I could not turn off DHCP with in their crap router. My router kept getting assigned an IP from their router's DHCP range instead of using the PPPoE session and obtaining a Public IP. So I could not use port forwarding, my vpn, get to my home computers etc.

So what I did was just get into to the netvigator crap burning hot router and change the DHCP range just to the two computers I want to use on their range. The ps3 and my other media streaming server, so I had just 192.168.8.3 and .4, .2 is reserved, forcing my home router to go out and get a public IP. My other pc had two NIC's one being their range and the other being my internal range. That way I could use my ps3 to to stream videos with subtitles and I could still use my internal network for my webserver, torrents, news server, vpn for when in China and other stuff.

I have to say I do love using my ps3 as a TV Decoder, now with full bitstream I get the full use out of my receiver with the nice DTS-HD light on for blurays, the ps3 has full internet flash/java, video streaming, music streaming. One HDMI input and so many functions you have to love it.

Limitations.
    You can only use your ps3 for one thing at a time of course. The aspect ratio gets messed, well not actually messed up just displayed correctly, nowtv has not setup this correctly so I get some black bars all around some pictures quite annoying. Take note they will take away your old decoder so you will only have one decoder.

Lack of instructions for the ps3 decoder but easy to figure out.

Pricing:
    Just 20 HK for using the ps3 as a Decoder, if you want to keep the existing decoder you have to pay around 150 extra to use the ps3 and keep the existing.

Also one last thing they just release a new version of the decoder software, it only uses two channels pretty crap. When initially starting the software a loud annoying buzzing noise would come out my right hand rear speaker they fixed this with the latest release. So if the PCCW man comes and then disables all the 5.1, 7.1 etc in your ps3 to limit it to 2 channels just punch him in the guts and tell him to get out. They have fixed this in the new version mine works perfectly.

WMDS likes this.

network picture.

For some reason the attachment did not upload.

One other thing you can't use your ps3 for free to air stations, you will need to use your digital top box or your tv.

Quote Originally Posted by aussben:
    One other thing you can't use your ps3 for free to air stations, you will need to use your digital top box or your tv.
    +
    1. You cannot use your PS3 if you are watching the tellie or Now
    2. You need to pay some service fee every month to use the PS3 as a decoder.
    3. I know quite a few people whose PS3's worked perfectly until they got Now installed...A few weeks down the road they got the YLOD and Sony refused to fix it since the consoles were just over the warranty period. Also the Sony rep told one of the guys that using Now causes the box to overheat.

I have a couple of PS3's but I refuse to pay them a fee to use my own hardware. I recommend using the decoder PCCW hands out instead as if something messes up its their problem. I'd hate to lose all my data in the ps3 especially some saves that are console locked.
    Last edited by JaredHK; 28-06-2010 at 05:54 PM.
    Rob2020 likes this.

The Now TV marketing department basically lists the advantages* of using your PS3 as:
    - you can save space

Actually only one advantage.
    Such an unbelievable joke

JaredHK likes this.

as are many things in hong kong.

Yes true, it is not ideal for everyone I am using a slim ps3 they are better for heat, the old ones are very bad, my old ps3 got the YLOD without even using it as a decoder I just wanted to throw it out the window! As for generating more heat with nowtv, more heat then running it at max fps playing a game decoding 5.1 compared to decoding a light weight stream with 2.1? I can't see how it would generate more heat. If you have a ps3 or any device that heats up don't box it into cabinet with no ventilation.

1. You cannot use your PS3 if you are watching the tellie or Now

This is true but if you like me and only have one tellie then this does not matter. For me less cables is a plus and less god damn remotes, I know I can get a learning remote but also less things to turn off, unless I get a remote with a macro to turn off all my devices I still have to press extra buttons.

But the ps3 is much smoother for using nowtv then that crap decoder they give you, also you can backup your ps3 if you have valuable data on it. I basically have nothing on my mine except for game data, that is what my streaming server is for. But I don't really agree with the 20 to us my gear, but it is not that much not even a starbucks coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by JaredHK:
    2. You need to pay some service fee every month to use the PS3 as a decoder.
    lol, great school of economics at work here.

Quote Originally Posted by aussben:
    For me less cables is a plus and less god damn remotes, I know I can get a learning remote but also less things to turn off, unless I get a remote with a macro to turn off all my devices I still have to press extra buttons.
    Get a Logitech Harmony universal remote. Its the best $400 I've ever spent. It has "Activities" that you can set up (using your PC) such as "Watch NowTV", "Watch Media Player", "Watch DVD", etc. Then with one click of a button, the remote turns on/off the required devices for a particular activity and sets them all to the required input.

For example, switching from NowTV to my media player will turn off the Now Decoder, turn on the media player, change my TV from HDMI1 to HDMI2, change my 5.1 speaker setup from input1 to input2. Then if something goes out of sync or doesnt do what it's suppose to, there is a special HELP button on the remote and the LCD on the remote asks you questions like "Is the Media Streamer on", "Is the TV now on HDMI2" etc. If you answer NO, it fixes it for you.

Sorry to go off topic. But I bought one of these recently and really like it. Now I can throw away the 5 remotes I had on the coffee table and replace it with one remote that does what I want by pushing one button.

How easy is it to set up bdq? I have already wanted one (4 remotes for us) and it does sound attractive. However, I can't be arsed with two much fiddling!!!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast