Like Tree1Likes

Ethernet cable

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Well we were setting up this new office where we got Cat6 and asked the regular contractor to do it. I found that performance to be less than 5e for some cables. After lot of debugging we found that termination was bad and that was causing issues at the signal level. Redoing it with a more pro guy solved all issues.

Just got a new office wired and everything is showing at 100FDX, waiting to find out why. Also half the ports are MDI the other half MDIX, very fruity.

Quote Originally Posted by krypton:
    Well we were setting up this new office where we got Cat6 and asked the regular contractor to do it. I found that performance to be less than 5e for some cables. After lot of debugging we found that termination was bad and that was causing issues at the signal level. Redoing it with a more pro guy solved all issues.
    Yeah, seems Cat6 is more fussy than Cat5. What tips around termination can you give?

Quote Originally Posted by HKNewBi:
    Yeah, seems Cat6 is more fussy than Cat5. What tips around termination can you give?
    Make sure you get a guy whos done this before. Someone dong it the first time will definitely not get it right. Also ask all switch vendors if they have tested the network switches with Cat6 (it might seem like a dumb question but trust me it isn't)

can you recommend anyone? Someone to come over for an afternoon or so and check out the cabling. See if any errors and if they can be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo:
    Just got a new office wired and everything is showing at 100FDX, waiting to find out why. Also half the ports are MDI the other half MDIX, very fruity.
    You have dealt with true professionals

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix2:
    You have dealt with true professionals
    No shit, they are using one cat 5e to connect to two desktops, two twisted pairs each. I got them back to fix the two broken ports but still haven't pulled through new cable for everyone else.

I need to find a networking expert - having a melt down.

Had a powercut in the storms last week. When power came back up the PCCW broadband router was fried. All the rest of my gear is on surge protectors and seemed fine.

But today I can't use my NAS across the network. I can browse it in Windows Explorer but it is really really slow. I can't ping it, but can see the rest of the network.

Any ideas anyone? Driving me crazy....

Quote Originally Posted by HKNewBi:
    I need to find a networking expert - having a melt down.
    Might as well contact a Venezuelan goat herder for all the relevance it has to your situation.

Had a powercut in the storms last week. When power came back up the PCCW broadband router was fried. All the rest of my gear is on surge protectors and seemed fine.
    Follow all the recommended steps in the NAS documentation, post on the NAS vendor forums. Start from basics, one cable between your computer and NAS and work your way up.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo:
    No shit, they are using one cat 5e to connect to two desktops, two twisted pairs each. I got them back to fix the two broken ports but still haven't pulled through new cable for everyone else.
    Last install I had done, the tester the used provided with a report of an in depth test of each cable, length, dB signal lost etc. It quite nice and impressive