HKBN vs PCCW

Closed Thread

HKBN vs PCCW

Hi,
    I have been living in HK for 2 years now and spent these 2 years with a PCCW internet connection. I have never been as unhappy with a customer service as the one they offer. So now that my contract with them is running out, i was wondering if anyone is using or has tried HKBN. How is their CS? Is there really a noticeable speed increase when switching from PCCW to HKBN?

Any info would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Skulleye

If it is customer service you are after probably not much differnece. We have a business fiber connection from Hkbn and there is nothing about them that stands out as being that different from pccw. Specially since I am throughly happy with the 3 or 4 times I have had to call pccw in 8 years.

The consumer bandwidth is also pretty much the same. 4mbps or 1000mbps you will have to deal with Intl bottlenecks and unless you are. Big p2p or online video consumer these bottlenecks do not affect most folks who use theinternet for browsing sites and email.

Bottom line..... They are all pretty much the same.
    Posted via Mobile Device

I agree they are all pretty much the same. You will be lucky if HKBN even provide service to your building. PCCW is certainly the best in terms of coverage area.

do you normally connect to overseas websites? if the answer is yes then you will not feel much diff between pccw or hkbn.
    for local connection, hkbn is unbeatable... if you do a lot of file transfer or retrieve data, hkbn is good. it only takes me a few mins to transfer 1GB file to my friend or from my office server,

Thanks for your input!
    I guess i will be changing to HKBN then!
    I currently have the 30mbit connection from PCCW and I am really annoyed. Within 18 months, the netvigator router has broken down 6 times and had to get a new one. Why? because it was over heating all the time, even with an extra fan to cool it :S

HKBN is terrible in both network quality and CS
    please stay away
    PCCW is the company you can trust in hongkong

They're all terrible because everyone wants the cheapest service, otherwise lease a full Internet connection for HK$5,900 per month+ (4/4 metro Ethernet) and they will be a lot more pleasant to deal with.

pleasse stay with PCCW as they are the only major bandwidth provider for hong kong network.

i am using pccw for past 5 years and never had any chance to call their CS for any problem, nor their connection was slow or d/c for 1 second.

thru my friends using hkbn claims never ever take it anymore as their connection keep d/c and CS is same not only in telecom but almost in all organisations.

>> full Internet connection for HK$5,900 per month+ (4/4 metro Ethernet) and they will be a lot more pleasant to deal with.

They're offering 100Mbps fiber to premises for around $4-5K (don't have their quotes handy) but I do agree with you. Retail and business groups are different in how they deal with customers.

By the way, this does not apply to PCCW, who I cannot get any info about with regards to business connections.. but their consumer side had bent over backwards for me when I've had problems.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    >> full Internet connection for HK$5,900 per month+ (4/4 metro Ethernet) and they will be a lot more pleasant to deal with.

They're offering 100Mbps fiber to premises for around $4-5K (don't have their quotes handy) but I do agree with you. Retail and business groups are different in how they deal with customers.
    It depends whether you are in a suitable area, TST has better infrastructure support that East-Kowloon. I couldn't even get VSDSL a few years ago, I know we cannot get faster than 10mbps metro'.