Like Tree1Likes

Best Networked Media player/NAS?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    I have never used a HTPC, but it sounds awkward to me. I have my TVIX which just turns on in a few seconds and plays any MKV or AVI file I throw at it. Isnt a HTPC like a full on computer that has to boot up, has a loud fan, uses a mouse and keyboard, etc?
    You can get them with silent fans, and remote keyboard with trackpad.. my issue was the constant software updates, hassle with things popping up in the middle of playback, Windows deciding to do things in the background slowing the film down (maybe my fault for using Windows), having to fiddle around with multiple codecs which often interfered with each other etc etc.

Possibly I should change my statement to "I'll never use a Windows based HTPC" again since I think a lot of this would be alleviated with a linux distro.
    bdw likes this.

I have an HTPC, and I feel it gives greater flexibility than a streamer, and works best for me.

For starters I can stream webcasts over it (or stream things like Hulu, BBC Iplayer, etc via a vpn when there isn't too much network congestion).

As for fans, etc, my HTPC is pretty damn quiet.

As for start up, it takes about 20-30 seconds to boot from cold and about about 5 seconds if in standby mode.

I find the UI better on an HTPC (using Boxee or XMBC).

As for Windows messages popping up while you are watching a show, this has NEVER happened to me. Also I've NEVER had the problem with windows slowing things down. Mind you I run a very slim machine, and it is purely an HTPC and nothing else.

As or codecs, all you need is a codec package like Shark. I just had to install that and it plays everything I need it to. Also with streamers if it doesn't play a certain codec, that's it. At least with an HTPC, you the option of downloading the codec to play the file with.

As for mice, keyboards, etc, once things are set up, you just use a remote on (you however may have to keep these in storage though, as you may need them).

I have set my HTPC up quite nicely so all the shows I want auto download, and for movies, they download automatically once I have selected them from my necessary usenet search provider and everything is auto categorized.

You are right about constant updates though.

I have a HTPC, good for the flexibility as it can do other things too, granted I did'nt buy a Atom based so it cost me around 4.2K

I dont have problem with playback, download, live streaming or ripping, on the side not it serves as my P2P & storage box also.
    Posted via Mobile Device

To those asking about specifics on what i want to use it for, I have gone down the path of self-built HTPC machines years ago but i was never satisfied with the overall experience. It was always easier to just slot in a DVD and press play. Now that my significant other will be using it, it needs to be as easy to use as a DVD player or NowTV.

So, given this I would like the following:

- an internal HDD of at least 500gb to which I can copy (via network file share) DVD rips or BT downloads from my desktop computer;
    - a BT client so I can setup a list of torrents and this device will download the files, thus avoiding destroying the HDD in my desktop/laptop. i was told that BT downloading writes a lot of small file fragments to the HDD and can be quite harsh on it;
    - Some sort of media-browser interface where I can select video files to play, or music playlists, or browse photo galleries.
    - HDMI output, wired network connection etc

The QNAP NMP-1000 I own has all of your requirements, and a few more besides. You can put your own HDD inside. I use a n series wifi connection to avoid having cables between the media player and PC.

QNAP Systems, Inc. ( NMP-1000 ) - Quality Network Appliance Provider

There might be better options out there now though!

Update

So, I went ahead and got the QNAP NMP-1000 ($2650), which was quite hard to find in Wanchai Computer Mall, and a 2TB drive ($500-ish).

Setup:
    - couldn't have been easier, plugged in HDMI to TV, installed HDD and booted up. The HDD formatting took a little while but then it was good to go.
    - DHCP worked find and I logged in through the browser to change password and add a few user accounts;
    - activated AFP and SMB access and can easily connect with windows/Mac to copy files.

Use:
    - The BT client is ok but can't do more than 2-3 at a time. If I set no download speed limit it choked and corrupted the existing downloads so i set it 256kbps max and it handles a few downloads no worries.
    - Internet Radio: only setup on stream for a Radio Station and it works fine.
    - haven't tried uploading any photos or mp3 yet
    - Youtube function doesn't work, I think this will be fixed in the next firmware release
    - Flickr and Picasa browsing function is nice, does a screensaver-type thing with all the top-rated photos and play your own music/radio over the top.

Overall, quite happy so far although a little bit more expensive than others it has performed solidly.

Good time to mention the new Apple TV, US$99,

Apple - Apple TV - Rent HD movies and TV shows, stream Netflix, and more

The Boxee looks a bit silly at US$199 now.

-- yay post limiting feature is broken on geoexpat, it still posts anyway --

Apple TV is lame. Can only stream content from itunes which means your computer needs to be on, and you need to preconvert your stuff to h.264/mpg4 etc.

Can't connect to a NAS or DLNA server.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo:
    Good time to mention the new Apple TV, US$99,

Apple - Apple TV - Rent HD movies and TV shows, stream Netflix, and more

The Boxee looks a bit silly at US$199 now.
    Don't know if Apple TV will work in HK though (by that I mean the streaming the shows bit, it will stream from your Itunes though). Also, its just stream only. Also its not clear if you can external storage to it. Further, the codecs are severally limited. Further, its not full HD.

However it will sell well, because its Apple (although its a crap product).

Boxee is much more feature packed.