Like Tree1Likes

Can I replace my PCCW modem/router with my own choice?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Can I replace my PCCW modem/router with my own choice?

I have a borderline P.O.S. chinese "ZTE" PCCW branded router that was setup with my internet-only (no NOW tv) plan.

I say borderline, because it has been performing adequately - until I added my 2nd Mac to the mix. It's the router - for sure.

I want to simply add my own modem+router+switch in it's place. Can that be done with PCCW? If so, can any name-brand modem+router+switch (dlink, engenius, netgear, linksys) work - or do I need one that allows particular setups - and if so, which ones?

If I can't use just any, the only thing I can think of, is I would have to add a router+switch behind the ZTE - BUT the ZTE doesn't even have any way of turning off the wireless! I mean really! Not to mention I'm then NAT behind NAT, etc. and what a crap setup forwarding packets would be.

Has anyone ever requested better hardware from PCCW and got it?

And if there are other suggestions - I'd be happy to hear them!

Last edited by AsiaJason; 21-07-2010 at 10:51 PM.

It certainly isn't easy. Most people just put another router behind the PCCW DSL Modem/router, although I seem to remember someone reporting they they sort of got one specific type of DSL modem to work with a lot of faffing about.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Most people just put another router behind the PCCW DSL Modem/router
    yea, I would - but nat->nat port forwarding makes me shiver. and the fact that the ZTE is a wireless modem/router. So I would have *two* wireless nets.

Can I request PCCW give me a non-wireless modem/router? that would at least solve the two wireless net (which is only a nuisance)...

...and still doesn't solve the nat->nat

And I noticed something funny in the ZTE config page... there is no setup screen for the PPOE stuff. Anyone know how that's possible? hidden page?

It certainly isn't easy. Most people just put another router behind the PCCW DSL Modem/router, although I seem to remember someone reporting they they sort of got one specific type of DSL modem to work with a lot of faffing about.
    I am having a similar problem in my thread here: http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/119/thread173913.html

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I do remember a while back someone posting that they were able to get their own router to work, however I can't remember where that post is.

I think you can get it so pccw supply you with just the modem and you go out and buy your own wireless router, that is what I have done.

Getting a router to work is trivial. What the OP appears to want to do is to get a DSL modem to work. That is not.

Getting a router to work is trivial. What the OP appears to want to do is to get a DSL modem to work. That is not.
    Sorry, PDLM, you are correct. I should have said my modem. I had my own DSL modem when I first came to HK, but couldn't get it to work with PCCW. About a year later, someone posted that they had successfully managed to get their DSL modem to work, but I can't remember the exact circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    I can't remember the exact circumstances.
    Google is your friend
    http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/117/th...tml#post281211
    pin likes this.

Thanks. Irony is that I commented on that thread as well. I didn't bother actually trying it out on my own modem at the time.

Reopening this old issue, can someone explain to me why it is difficult to replace the PCCW supplied router/modem with an "all in one" ADSL modem+router+wifi solution (e.g. made by Fritzbox, Linksys, etc.). Is there something specific about the PCCW ADSL that complicates this?

In the UK, I have happily replaced the BT Broadband supplied all-in-one router/modem/wifi with boxes manufacturered by Fritzbox (for instance) to provide a single adsl model/router/wifi solution

Thanks

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast