Buying a laptop in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Buying a laptop in HK?

Hi, I will be moving to HK in September from the UK and I am wondering if anyone knows if it is cheaper to buy a laptop in HK compare to the UK?

Also, can anyone send me some links so I can compare them?

Thanks

Tsim Sha Tsui's Star House (near Star Ferry pier) 1st floor, or the entire Mongkok Computer Centre, both shopping malls full of computer + accessories, has more than enough to show... Just go and look around.

Online shopping isn't all that popular here. Apart from Dell if that's what you want.

deleteduser

Definitely, definitely buy one here. There are a couple good stores on the 2nd floor of the MK Comuter Mall.

Dell will probably have the best choice anyway - dell.com.hk might have better prices than the UK Dell site. You can start comparing before you even leave for HK

Cheers, i will check out the dell hk site now. Strange, I do most of my electrical purchases online in the uk, I find it much cheaper than high street prices.

Anyone bought a laptop from Dell HK?

Quote Originally Posted by shafted:
    Cheers, i will check out the dell hk site now. Strange, I do most of my electrical purchases online in the uk, I find it much cheaper than high street prices.

Anyone bought a laptop from Dell HK?

Yes - I bought a laptop from them a couple of weeks ago. It took less than a week to get to me, and their prices are effectively the same as US prices - so significantly lower than UK. Most electrical things here are similarly priced to the UK, but there's no VAT (so far!) so the retail, over-the-counter prices end up being around the UK commercial VAT-excluded prices.

And no, with the exception of Dell, most electrical shopping here seems to be done over-the-counter. It's a relatively small town, easy to get around, and there are a few dedicated computer malls scattered around, so it's not as bad as it sounds if you're used to shopping online...

I bought my Dell on EBay. Saved myself about $1000 US at the time. Got myself their 17" widescreen 9400 Inspiron...I love it! Core Duo 2.0!

DELL laptops are really quite good for their cheap price. you might get better bargains with used ones or less famous brands. but unlike with a PC you can hardly change your components like keyboard etc. afterwards, so you have to stick with more than 80% of what has been built-in by the manufacturer and rely on the quality for at least 1-2 years, for most users even longer.

on top of the very good quality of DELL hardware you can purchase some kind of 3-year complete cover warranty, which even covers drops and spills in HKG (yes, accidential drops from the table and coffee spills are covered). outside of HKG you can get an international next business day service for most major countries, which is very helpful if your laptop should have trouble on travels. sure, major brands like sony etc. are offering international warranty as well (some even fail with the next business day), but not for the price of a DELL laptop.

we have bought one for my wife around a year ago and we are very satisfied with it.

If you buy in Mongkok you may save a few extra $$$ but, in my opinion, it is riskier shopping. The bigger retailers should be more reliable but the prices higher accordingly Some people from other countries are disappointed with the general approach to exchanges and/or refunds (which is more limited) so bear this in mind.

You can also try the Golden Centre in Sham Shui Po. That's where I buy ours for my company. There's a couple or reputable retailers there and you can haggle a bit.

Once you find a model you like, PM me and I'll see if I can get you a better price.

Dells are good ... however did you read about them blowing up recently?
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/07..._in_sinagpore/

So be careful if you hear strange noise from your machine

Hi,

Can anyone tell me which notebook is better:

1. Fujitsu LifeBook S2110C with AMD Turion 64 MT-30 1.6 GHz, 13.3" SuperFine (weight: 1.65kg), or

2. IBM ThinkPad T60 2007 BVB with Intel Centrino Duo Technology, Intel Core Duo T2300e (1.66GHz, 667MHz FSB), 14.1" XGA (weight: 1.9 kg)

Both of them have 1GB memory and 80GB harddisk.

Thank you!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast