Like Tree1Likes

A question on Adobe

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

A question on Adobe

Yeah yeah...we have all heard the adobe vs apple debate, and i could care less about some wanting flash and some not wanting flash. thats NOT what i want to discuss here, so lets have a clean fight here folks....

My question:

Recently the FTC began investigating Apple's block preventing flash from running on its iOS. Why should the FTC be involved in this? I don't understand how Apple can get sued or fined for not allowing an application (or whatever) to run on its iOS.

It's Apple's OS, and they should be able to decide who can and cant run on it. If people don't like it, then they wont buy it. If they can accept its shortcomings (or advantages) then they will buy it. If something better comes out that can run what iOS cant, then they will switch.

So why should Apple be forced to allow this app to run, all because a 3rd party developer wants it to be so? Can I force McDonalds to sell my burgers? Im a 3rd party burger maker, and I want to have equal opportunity to sell my burgers in their establishment. They have gained a lot of popularity and get a large amount of traffic, therefore it would be beneficial to me to sell my burgers there, and would be fair to McDonalds because they need open competition. Isnt that a [really poor but] accurate example?

I'm all for fair competition and choice, and think it would be great if Apple allowed the option. However I do not believe they should be forced by the FTC (being pushed by a 3rd party dev) to allow Flash to run in its iOS.

Am I missing something here on why this is FTC territory?

Competition laws. Just because Apple can do something doesn't make it right to do so.

Microsoft faced a whole bunch of similar anti-trust complaints over the way they controlled/manipulated browsers.

Apple are hurting consumers by not allowing Flash - people should have the choice whether to install or (bugs and all) or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff:
    Competition laws. Just because Apple can do something doesn't make it right to do so.
    Agreed...its not right. But my question is should it be legally right/wrong? or morally right/wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff:
    Apple are hurting consumers by not allowing Flash - people should have the choice whether to install or (bugs and all) or not.
    Again, I agree. However I don't believe we live in a world where people always get freedom of choice. I should be allowed to buy a BK burger in McDonalds, but reality is I can't. I should be allowed to make personal backup copies of my legally purchased DVD's or CD's, but reality is MPAA/RIAA say I can't.

So while I agree Apple should allow choice to its users, I don't agree this should be legally forced on companies. IF it is (or will), then I have a long list of demands from many companies....that in my opinion dont abide by the same competition laws.

Well the FTC is there to protect consumers and get a better deal for consumers... by going after Apple on this I think they're doing their job so I don't have a big problem with it.

Remember also that when Apple was a startup, the anti-trust laws were equally applicable in benefiting it against the big players in the market in its day. Today the roles are somewhat reversed.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends:
    So why should Apple be forced to allow this app to run, all because a 3rd party developer wants it to be so? Can I force McDonalds to sell my burgers? Im a 3rd party burger maker, and I want to have equal opportunity to sell my burgers in their establishment. They have gained a lot of popularity and get a large amount of traffic, therefore it would be beneficial to me to sell my burgers there, and would be fair to McDonalds because they need open competition. Isnt that a [really poor but] accurate example?
    The difference is this: If I decide that I like your burgers, but McDonalds fries and shakes, I can go to McDonalds, buy a meal with a burger, fries and a drink, then take the meal home and replace the burger with one of yours. McDonalds do not, and cannot, require me to only eat their burgers with their fries and shakes.

To put it more simply, just because McDonalds has contracts with Coke and only serves their drinks, there is no way for them to stop me buying a burger from them and a Pepsi from elsewhere and consuming them together. That is what Apple are doing - using their hardware/software combo requires you to accept a license which limits you to only use third-party software which they approve on hardware which you've bought. There's nothing necessarily inherently wrong with that, but if you then tie that to an aggressive attitude towards competitors, it starts to become legally interesting.

Nobody is saying that they should be forced to sell or support anything, but by setting up their hardware tied to their app store service, they are taking a certain amount of responsibility for the platform as a whole. If their hardware wasn't tied to their store, they could happily refuse whatever they wanted, since users could chose to source their software elsewhere...

Apple are bunch of nazis when it comes to freedom of use of their piece of hardware. The iphone is supposed to be a smartphone, besides making phonecalls it can do anything you want: listen to music, play games, mail, surf the internet sadly because it won't run flash, leaves many websites crippled/unusable. I think this is where FTC comes into play.

Skyhook likes this.

China government - Green Dam. Adobe - Flash. Yeah I get it now.

I'm just off to develop some browser content software, should be finished later. Will be full of holes and have several security issues but should be able to force Apple and whoever else to use it by suing their ass. Be very wary of the precedent this sets, while the limited in braincells will be whooping that they can now use Flash on their iPhone there will be a queue of other developers wanting to push their less than savoury offerings.

Reason Adobe is doing this is that they are shitting themselves at prospect of HTML5 which Apple happens to support.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:

I'm just off to develop some browser content software, should be finished later. Will be full of holes and have several security issues but should be able to force Apple and whoever else to use it by suing their ass. Be very wary of the precedent this sets, while the limited in braincells will be whooping that they can now use Flash on their iPhone there will be a queue of other developers wanting to push their less than savoury offerings.
    Absolutely laughing my arse off. You believe the Apple propaganda that Flash is slow and full of holes? Wow - funny how I have never had a problem running it on dozens of computers and laptops and other smartphones over the years.

As for for insecure - well Apple's own Safari has a hole that lets you root the entire phone and jailbreak it without leaving the browser!!! Can't remember the last time youTube installed another OS on my machine when I watched a video.

I love how the fanboi's suspend all rational thought when parroting Steve Jobs's diatribes

The diatribe was an issue with flash, not support of Apple. But hey if you're unable to separate the two then it's not my problem now is it?!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast