email sigs appear wonky

Closed Thread

email sigs appear wonky

im using outlook to send
    others using outlook, outlook express, or windows live mail to receive
    my default fonts are set to Verdana 11 Regular

when i type new emails...everything i physically type appears OK to me, and OK to the recipient.

BUT....my signature area is problematic:

Option 1:
    - using Outlook signatures options, i create a new signature, and format the signature with name, company name, and address/telephone info.
    - it appears OK in signature window
    - it appears OK in my new email message
    - it does NOT appear correct for recipient. Usually appears 1, 2, or 3 font sizes larger then my email body.

Option 2:
    - using Outlook signatures options, i create a new signature, BUT this time I format the info in a email body first, then copy and paste into the signature window.
    - it appears OK in signature window
    - it does NOT appear correct for recipient. Usually appears 1, 2, or 3 font sizes larger then my email body.

Option 3:
    - i use a text input application (i.e. TextExpander) to format a signature.
    - it appears OK in TextExpander window

It seems no matter what I do, the signature ALWAYS appears a different size then my email body. WTF is happening? I know MS refuses to use standardized font encoding, but seriously....why can I not get a signature and email body to all appear at same exact font size and style????

any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends:
    I know MS refuses to use standardized font encoding
    HTML email is the problem, stop using comic sans signatures and stick to short and simple plain text.

Does this occur only with Verdana or pretty much any font that you use?

Ditch Outlook.
    Ditch signature.

Problems solved.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo:
    HTML email is the problem, stop using comic sans signatures and stick to short and simple plain text.
    what part of "VERDANA" did you not understand?
    plain text is great...except for when you need to have any level of emphasis. sure, someone who is well educated in English language can understand emphasis in writing alone, but when dealing with chinese factory workers with limited knowledge, sometimes the giant bolded red lettering is needed to drive a point home.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought:
    Does this occur only with Verdana or pretty much any font that you use?
    happens with all texts used.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff:
    Ditch Outlook.
    Ditch signature.
    Problems solved.
    I've tried Mail.app, and had other bouts of inconsistencies with PC users. I've also tried Thunderbird, with unpleasant results. And no...im not reverting to webmail.
    Signature is needed for including company info and disclaimer, along with urgent contact details.

anyways...i managed to bypass most of the issue by formatting the signature in Word, then copying and pasting into Outlook signature settings, and then during compose I make a few edits to adjust fitting.

still annoying, but better then before.

I use Outlook Express at work and it handles signatures (in my case Courier New, 10) fine.

I sent myself a test e-mail to both my office e-mail (Outlook Express) and hotmail and in both instances the signature (Verdana, 11) showed up normal, as expected.

Suggest switching to Outlook Express, but my version does not do font size 11 in the message compose window (though you can set your font size to 11 under the 'Compose' tab from options), so you have to set it to either 10 or 12.

I use windows live mail my signature and the email body are always in verdana 11pt and i have no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Beuze:
    I use windows live mail my signature and the email body are always in verdana 11pt and i have no problem.
    Is that the default mail client on Windows 7?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought:
    Is that the default mail client on Windows 7?
    I'm using window xp, i change to window live mail because outlook express is a big piece of crap when window live mail is just a small one :P

I think on window 7 is window mail don't know the difference between live mail and mail something about incorporate msn i guess.