Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Boris

PCCW wireless

Closed Thread

PCCW wireless

When PCCW say the offer wireless broadband do they mean:

1) It is hard wired into your apartent and the a wireless router / modem allows PC's laptop in your house to connect and share via wireless

or

2) The actual connection into your apartment is wireless.

or

3) They offer both depending on where you apartment is

From what I've read wireless is slower than hard wired connection.
    I'm not talkng about the wifi spots around but just want the connection in my house.

Thanks

The answer to wireless residential is 1)

They also offer as an extension a USB Dongle that connects to their extensive HK wireless service as an extension of your home account.

Croquet King likes this.

Thanks Boris.
    Thats what I was hoping, so I can have my desktop connected directly to the modem via ethernet (for downloads) and the laptop wireless in the house.

Someone from PCCW called me and said that the building only has the phone line to get TV and Internet.

My guess is that they will share bandwidth so will slow each other down. The broadband is 6M. Is this the most common way of delivery in HK (via phoneline)?

Is the quality of cable TV ok via the phone line?

I just got an 8M line and its slow. I was getting a download speed of 160kb a second. According to PCCW, older locations such as Yau ma Tei where i live has old lines and therefore have a max of 8M for the area. I wanted 30M but can't get it.

In comparison, I was with HKBB, paying less by $30 a month and getting sometimes up to 1400kb a second download (average was around 800kb). I could only get PCCW where I lived and wanted BB so had to go with that one.

What you can do is connect a wireless router to your modem from the PCCW modem and then have your laptop wireless and then get your desktop to connect straight to your wireless model (cable) to get a direct feed from the modem.

Quote Originally Posted by Croquet King:
    Someone from PCCW called me and said that the building only has the phone line to get TV and Internet.

My guess is that they will share bandwidth so will slow each other down. The broadband is 6M. Is this the most common way of delivery in HK (via phoneline)?

Is the quality of cable TV ok via the phone line?
    Yes.
    To get the max download it is common practice to switch off the Now TV decoder. It sucks about a 1/3rd of your bandwidth.

In all honesty I don't see the point in getting Now Tv unless you really need one of the specialty channels. You get local stations through the aerial and all the other stuff is available through " other means ". PCCW throw in Now Tv as free with two paid channels free if you sign up for 18 / 24 months. In our house we never use it and in our next one we will not even have a TV because its not needed.

Local channels will come through a computer plug ( which has a coaxial port for the aerial ) in to the second monitor.