Like Tree8Likes

Password Reuse & Google

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Password Reuse & Google

I find this rather amusing, and worrying...

(From xkcd.com)

PSMaverick likes this.

yeah...i slowly migrated all my passwords from a handful of standard ones used on all sites...to a completely chaotic scheme using a password manager over the course of a few months. one of the main reasons for this was a similar thought.

love XKCD

I would recommend looking into Lastpass or KeePass for password management.

There have been a bunch of articles recently on the usual tech websites about passwords.

I currently use 1password. How are the other apps you mentioned in comparison?

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends:
    I currently use 1password. How are the other apps you mentioned in comparison?
    1password is supposed to be pretty good, however only until recently it was Mac only.

Also it doesn't have an android app, which is a no no for me.

I presently use Lastpass. It is very easy to use and integrates nicely with Firefox, Chrome and IE (you need to check if it works with Safari). It also has various portable apps. Lastpass is based on an online server. A few will question this (i.e. someone else has access to all your passwords. No doubt PDLM will comment on that). Lastpass claim they never see your passwords, or even know your password and everything is encrypted on their servers.

I did look around various forums and the internet before deciding to go with Lastpass and am generally happy with its security.

The other one that is popular is Keepass. This is open source and is computer based. You can now sync your passwords between computers using Dropbox. Keepass requires a bit more "work" to set up to run properly, but as its open source and things are running on your computer (rather than a server in the cloud, people are happy with, but again, this has its own risks). I don't know if there is a Keepass app though, I know there is an Android App. Another issue with Keepass is that its Firefox extension is still not stable.

Lifehacker has done extensive reviews on both:

Lastpass

Keepass

thanks for the info, ill have to take a look at them.
    I like 1Password because it syncs using DropBox, and it works well with Firefox and Safari for me, as well as on the iphone. I have it save to an encrypted disk image, which i store on DropBox. This way I only need to remember 3 passwords, while everything else is stored in the database.

I have a good memory so I can remember all my passwords in my head.
    Its called " old geezer pre the machine does everything for you and stops you thinking for yourself " technology.

You remember mental arithmetic? Of course you don't because you where all brought up on calculators. Point made I think.

Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris:
    I have a good memory so I can remember all my passwords in my head.
    Its called " old geezer pre the machine does everything for you and stops you thinking for yourself " technology.

You remember mental arithmetic? Of course you don't because you where all brought up on calculators. Point made I think.
    so, assuming my database (which consists of roughly 1500 different usernames and passwords) you would be able to mentally remember all 1500 combinations without any help? and each one is a unique key combination of upper/lower letters and numbers between 8-15 digits long?

or do you do "the problem" where you have 1 or 2 passwords you use for every login?

I suspect that I will be in agreement with Boris if I suggest that the "problem" is that you feel the need to access 1500 different systems. Have you considered trying real life instead?

bookblogger likes this.

XKCD is terrible, this is entirely not work safe but a significant improvement: goatkcd - Password Reuse

DJ008 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast